Using the quilling technique, you can create compositions of any shape, so children really like it. Quilling is understood as the creation of various artistic compositions from fragments of colored paper. These can be both ordinary applications or pictures, and three-dimensional, complex designs or toys. Both adults and children can get involved in this activity. For kids, this is, first of all, a wonderful and at the same time safe way to develop their abilities, learn how to work with various materials, and join the creation of beauty..
Quilling for a child: necessary tools and materials
In order to start working on creating a composition, you need to stock up on some materials. However, no particularly cunning and complex devices are needed for this..
So, for quilling you will need:
- Paper of different colors and textures;
- Glue and scissors;
Quilling tools can be purchased online or at a craft store
In order to make the basic spiral blank, on the basis of which many figures are based, you need to do the following:
- Make a small slot at the end of a toothpick;
- Cut colored paper into small strips of the required length with a width of about 3 – 5 mm;
- Insert one end of the resulting strip into the created cut of the toothpick and fix it there, and simply wind the rest of the ribbon on a stick, forcing it to acquire the shape of a spiral;
- When the ribbon is over, a drop of glue must be applied to its free end and fixed to the spiral so that the part does not unwind.
When working with young children who have just begun their acquaintance with quilling, there is no need to focus on the exact and precise dimensions of the parts. In this case, it is permissible to make a composition based on the “eye”.
Quilling master class for children: creating basic elements
The creation of any composition in quilling involves the use of various blanks. It is they who ultimately add up to a clear and understandable picture..
Before you start creating a composition using the quilling technique, you should watch the video with a master class
Some of the main elements in quilling are:
- Spiral – how to make it was written above. This piece can be twisted or loose. In order to make the last option, you need to remove the ribbon from the toothpick and give it the opportunity to unwind a little..
- A drop – is created by compressing one side of a free spiral. It only takes a few seconds to compress an element.
- Eye – the spiral is slightly stretched, after which it is clamped on both sides and released.
- Sheet – it turns out if you bend the corners of the “eyes”, one – to the right, the other – to the left.
- Curl – is based on a spiral. To do it, you just need to not glue the free tip to the toothpick..
- Semicircle – also formed from a spiral. To do this, you need to press on it so that the lower part remains flat, and the upper part is slightly rounded..
- Crescent – is created from the “eye”, the corners of which are bent in the form of the letter “C”.
Almost all created fragments will be made on the basis of a spiral. It is she who represents the main detail of the composition in quilling..
Where do quilling classes begin in kindergarten
It is necessary to develop a child from childhood. That is why educators in various preschool institutions devote so much time to various applications and crafts..
In kindergarten, starting to learn the quilling technique follows from creating the simplest compositions without complex elements
With the help of quilling, the kid:
- Learns attentiveness and perseverance;
- Develops its eyes and memory;
- Knows the world around him;
- Improves fine motor skills of hands.
Such classes should begin with the simplest elements, gradually moving on to more complex ones. First, these are ordinary spirals, created “by eye”, and then beautiful droplets, hearts, leaves.
The number of created compositions in the quilling style is very large. You can create flowers, paintings, Christmas toys, insects, and even animals. It all depends on the imagination and desire of the child, as well as who deals with him..
Quilling in kindergarten: curriculum
One of the main tasks of teachers is to develop the child’s abilities and teach him how to use basic tools, while observing safety precautions..
To study the quilling technique, it is recommended to buy a special textbook
The program of activities with kids in kindergarten looks like this:
- Introduction. Children learn to work with scissors and glue, learn the history of this exciting activity.
- Creation of the simplest quilling elements. Mastering the “free spiral”, sticking it on the base and creating such applications as “apple tree”, “ladybug”.
- Mastering the “droplet” and working with this element. Creation of various flowers, birches, rain.
- Transition to more complex shapes – “eyes” and “triangle”. Making a simple palm tree.
- Consolidation of the passed material. Create compositions using the learned elements. Making snowflakes, Christmas trees, cards.
- Mastering the “curl” and creating frosty patterns with it.
- The concept of the “arrow”, the creation of floral applications.
- Consolidation of the material covered and the transition to the creation of more complex, voluminous compositions. For example, butterflies sitting on flowers.
- Teamwork using all the knowledge gained.
The main thing is to understand that each child develops at his own, individual pace. Therefore, if something does not work out for him, there is no need to rush the baby. Everything has its time!
Crafts in the style of quilling flowers for children
Flowers are considered to be the simplest crafts in quilling. Teaching them how to create babies is easy and simple. Such crafts are suitable even for those who are just starting their way in the art of quilling..
To create flowers, you need a needle, paper of different shades, glue.
By creating flowers using the quilling technique, children develop their imaginations
The step-by-step instructions for doing this work are as follows:
- Colored paper is cut into strips and then curled with a needle.
- The free end of the tape is processed with glue and fixed to the resulting circle. Actually, this is the petal of the future flower..
- Next, you need to make the required number of petals and the core of the flower. To make it, you need to take a strip of paper of a different shade..
- Leaves for a flower are made in the same way, only at the end one side of the circle is compressed, taking the shape of a droplet.
It remains to glue a stalk of green paper to the paper and fix the petals, core and leaves around it. The flower is ready!
Quilling for small children: the simplest applications
Young children who are just taking their first steps in the art of quilling are still unable to create something complex that requires a lot of strength and skills. Therefore, it is better to start with simple and easy-to-use products. For example, drawing a twig with autumn leaves.
In order to create such an autumn composition you will need:
- Colored paper (preferably red, yellow and green shades);
- Plain pencil;
- Cardboard vase stencil;
- Special comb;
One of the simplest quilling crafts is a composition in the form of a sun.
It all starts with choosing a suitable picture and tracing it with a pencil. Next, a vase is cut out using a stencil. The paper of the desired shades is cut into stripes and screwed onto toothpicks, thereby creating a spiral. With the help of a felt-tip pen, the twigs are painted over, after which twisted strips are glued to the drawing so that a bright drawing is obtained. That’s all. The application is ready and can be framed.
But you can create not only twigs. Let’s try to make a butterfly.
The technique for creating it will look like this:
- On a piece of paper, you need to draw a butterfly and paint it in a variety of colors;
- Next, spirals are made of blue and red paper (the width of the stripes should be about one and a half centimeters);
- The end of the spiral must be fixed with glue, since it will not be a “free” spiral;
- After the glue dries, you can attach the resulting elements to the butterfly. The picture is ready.
Quilling for children 4-5 years old: a more difficult option
For older children, there are more complex compositions to perform. For example, a currant bush.
In order to create such a bush you will need:
- A4 sheet;
- Quilling stripes;
Children aged 4-5 years are capable of quilling animals
At the beginning of the work, you need to lay out the future branches on an A4 sheet. Then, using the prepared twisted strips of red paper, make berries. From green paper you need to cut the leaves of the future bush.
During work, you do not need to twist the strips too much. You should get a completely free droplet.
Further, all the resulting brushes and leaves are glued together. The background for crafts can be used in a variety of ways. It can be either saturated bright colors or delicate pastel colors..
Quilling for children 5 years old: postcard for March 8
Very often, children themselves want to present their loved ones with handmade souvenirs. As a rule, this is the kind of work they do with great pleasure and diligence..
A wonderful postcard for mom for the holiday can be made using quilling. The tools for its implementation are as follows:
- Double-sided paper in bright colors;
- Photo frame, A4 format;
- Glue, needles;
- 30 – centimeter ruler;
The postcard creation process will look like this. Strips of 0.5 cm in length are drawn on paper, and then cut out. Next, the purchased frame is opened and a white or colored sheet is glued to its back wall, which will serve as the background of the composition. Right now you can make a signature or write a congratulation for mom.
Using the quilling technique, you can make a beautiful gift for March 8
If there is a desire to sign the work, then you need to do this right now, while the application is not ready. Then it will be difficult to write a congratulation, and keep the integrity of the picture..
The glass removed from the frame is also attached to the back wall. It will help prevent the picture from falling out..
Next, you need to lightly draw a figure eight with a pencil and start decorating it. It is advisable to start doing this from the bottom. In this case, you can start with the leaves created from green spirals. They give their all for the eight.
You can make some kind of flower next to the number. It can be a tulip or a dandelion. Sunflowers look beautiful and sunny, which can also be attached in a corner.
Do not forget about the leaves. They only need one green stripe..
After all the details are done, they need to decorate the figure eight, gradually connecting everything together. In order to connect flowers, you can use regular stripes..
The result is a beautiful, sunny and loving postcard..
Quilling for children 6-7 years old: schemes for creating compositions
Children who are already 6 or 7 years old can create beautiful and voluminous products. For example, a butterfly. And not just drawn, but one that can be used as a toy.
To complete it, you need to prepare:
- Paper of different colors and shades;
- Sewing needles;
- Glue and scissors;
- Quilling board.
Schemes for creating compositions using the quilling technique can be found on the Internet and printed on a printer.
The process of creating a butterfly looks like this:
- It all starts with creating wings. To do this, you need to cut out three strips of paper of different lengths. Then glue them together, starting with a short one and ending with a long one. Twist the wings so that the smallest strip is on the inside.
- Next, with the help of the board, the resulting circles are unwound and pressed by the center to one of the sides of the butterfly and the stripes are glued in the same place.
- It remains to make the body of the insect. To do this, take two circles and twist, and then cones are created, which are fixed with glue to each other..
- Further, all the fragments are connected, and the butterfly is complemented by antennae of small spirals.
The simpler option is a rather spectacular picture in the form of a rowan twig. The set of tools for her is standard.
A rowan twig is made in this way:
- First, the berries are made. To do this, twisted spirals are made from red or terracotta paper, the ends of which are fixed with glue..
- Next, the leaves are made. Green stripes are curled and then squeezed to form a leaf.
- Then a branch is cut out and glued to the base of the applique. After that, the leaves and berries are laid out around the branch so that a lush bunch is obtained..
New Year’s quilling for children 10 years old
By themselves, snowflakes are nothing complicated, but the technique for their implementation can be very different. Let’s consider one of them. According to this instruction, you can create very beautiful snowflakes that will decorate the house on New Year’s holidays and you can happily hang them on the Christmas tree..
New Year’s quilling can be an excellent decor element for the interior for the New Year.
The set of tools for creating this decoration is standard. And the execution process itself looks like this:
- Thin strips are cut from paper, which are then curled with toothpicks;
- The resulting ring straightens a little to the desired size;
- The tip of the ribbon is glued;
- After that, the ring is clamped from different ends and made in several copies, which are then glued together in the shape of a flower;
- Further, the strips are twisted tightly and fixed with glue;
- The resulting rings are glued between the petals of the resulting snowflake;
- Then 6 curls are created and attached two pieces through one petal.
That’s all. The work is not easy, but quite feasible. In the center of the snowflake, you can glue an ordinary twisted ring.
What is quilling for children (video)
Quilling is a very exciting and useful activity not only for children, but also for their parents. With simple tools, you can create stunning original crafts, teach your child to see the beautiful, and just have a good time. For universal development, children are recommended to attend special creativity lessons. The circle will help your child learn the quilling technique faster. You will not have to write notes, but there will mainly be classes where a specific project and templates with a detailed description of it will be shown. Quilling can be useful for uniting children into friendly groups..
Beautiful quilling for children (photo examples)