Gray color is quite complex in terms of design: therefore, it is important to choose the right curtains for wallpaper in gray tones. Gray color is a color of great possibilities, including in the interior. It is not boring, not gloomy, not mousey, as they often “offend” him without thinking about his capabilities. He can be quiet, calm, neutral, which is the best way to create a certain environment. But it can play the role of an excellent shading color to bright, contrasting shades. These coloristic knowledge will come in handy in the event of a home transformation, in order to learn how to correctly combine colors in the interior..
The combination of colors in the interior: highlights
It should be said right away that such a thing as the correct combination of colors simply does not exist – it is better to say “successful”. If you want to learn how to professionally combine colors, you need to know not only, for example, the matching table, but also the trends of the season. And they change every year, just be in time here, watch.
It is not necessary to purchase curtains in exactly the same color as the wallpaper: if you experiment successfully, you can achieve an unusual effect in your interior.
A useful tooltip in the form of a table was developed by designers, in which all colors are divided into groups. Each group contains colors of the same range, for example, cobalt blue, azure, cornflower blue, turquoise. These colors (each comes with two combinable colors and one accent color).
For example, some rows in this table with gray included will look like this:
- Trending color – cobalt blue, two combined – light green, blue-green, accent – gray;
- Trending color – pale pink, two combined – pale sand, mint green, accent – dark gray;
- Trending color – gray-green, two combined – light amethyst and sky blue, accent color – purple;
- Trendy – orange, two combined – gray and cherry, accent – dark chocolate.
As you can see, there are some unexpected combinations that you may not have considered before..
How to choose the right curtains (video)
How to choose curtains for wallpaper: your own tricks
There is a strong opinion that it is easier to pick up curtains for plain wallpaper – almost your favorite ones will do. But this is not so, because even professional designers have been thinking for a long time how to successfully beat the theme of the walls in a duet with curtains, which is expressed by the wallpaper..
Choose only light shades of gray: darker options can create a depressing atmosphere
The options can be as follows:
- Curtains with vertical stripes will visually increase the height of the window and, if the interior is classic, emphasize its severity;
- Horizontal stripes will visually change the size of the window;
- A bright, expressive, large print on the curtains will be convincing only if the main color background of the curtains is in tune with the background of the entire room and, mainly, the wallpaper.
If you have very cute geometric patterns, they should also be combined with the geometric shapes of the furniture, and are most appropriate in the style of minimalism..
Light green curtains will make a monotonous, gray interior more varied.
What goes with gray:
- White. Looks good against a background of gray walls with a slight coolness of color, if you have a warm gray, replace white with also warm cream.
- Sand, beige. Curtains with a shade of wet sand will be in harmony with cold gray, and if the shade is rather golden, then the gray should also be warm.
- Yellow. With yellow, gray can have the brightest combination of colors, but yellow cannot be dominant, it is better for them to place accents. If we take curtains, then with yellow flowers, shapes, patterns, but not yellow in general. Roller blinds can be faded, muted color.
- Green. Emerald, aquamarine, neutral green go well with cold gray. With warm gray, an excellent combination will turn out with olive, pistachio, mustard.
- Blue. Cool gray is combined with blue, curtains with a combination of several shades of blue look great with the same color.
- Lilac. Gray wallpapers look great with lilac, and purple gives an even better color combination..
Finally, gray itself is combined with gray. Only for the harmony of such a duet, you need to take textiles a couple of tones lighter or darker than the color of the walls, so that a play of shades happens in the interior. It is good to use textiles with contrasting prints, they will help to accentuate the window and also embellish the interior
How to choose tulle for wallpaper: are there any differences
There are practically no differences in the combination of colors. Again, do not try to combine cold with warm, sometimes this is also a good option, but the merging of the two elements is still rarely successful..
In a gray interior, tulle will look close to white: this will create a rather delicate atmosphere.
If you have a cool gray on your walls, the tulle can be frosty white. But cream, beige tulle to austere and cold gray is a dissonance.
If you want to bring more fresh air, spaciousness into the room, even visually, take the most transparent tulle, which will create a feeling of freshness in the interior, freeing streams of light.
DIY wallpaper curtains: what is it
Incredibly cute, beautiful hand-made curtains are what is fashionable today. And for gray wallpaper, you can make curtains with your own hands, which will become the highlight of the interior.
For example, you still have vinyl wallpaper in the mezzanine of colors that theoretically match the gray color of the walls..
Curtains made from wallpaper are most reminiscent of blinds.
The tools needed are the following:
- Thread and awl;
Well, directly, the wallpaper itself.
All work takes place in five stages:
- Carefully look at the canvases with an accordion, folds are well done with a ruler. If necessary, mark in advance.
- The first few folds need to be fastened together so that the curtains can be hung.
- If the width of one wallpaper is too small, glue several wallpaper sheets together..
- If you just want to fold and unfold the curtains, make a hole in the folds and thread a cord through it..
- Secure the resulting curtains on the cornice with crocodiles.
You can make arched curtains, like an inverted fan, you can make long ones, like rolled curtains, which are then also rounded in an arched shape.
How to make curtains from wallpaper (video)
Gray wallpaper is a great option for design experiments, read the color palette correctly, do not be afraid of bold decisions, consider warm or cold gray.
Have a good choice!
Examples of curtains that fit gray wallpaper (photo)