Most people do not pay due attention to such a room as a corridor, but in vain: every wall in the house must be finished neatly and with high quality By the way, the corridor and the hallway are different concepts. Still, the hallway, if you use this word correctly, is a place for meeting guests, this is the first thing that a person sees when entering an apartment. The corridor is an intermediate space between rooms, that is, it is not necessarily the first visible part of the dwelling. The decoration of these premises deserves special attention. The fact is that the same corridor is like a connecting thread for all rooms. Will this thread match the color of the general image of the dwelling, or will it contrast with it – the decision of the owner. Just how not to miscalculate with this decision?
Wallpaper for the corridor: what should be
The corridor is the place for practical wallpaper. Whatever one may say, it is subject to special pollution, therefore paper or textile wallpapers are not suitable for the walls of the corridor. Although if they are used as inserts, this is acceptable. Almost any washable wallpaper will do, for which you will not be afraid when wet cleaning.
It is not necessary to cover the entire wall with wallpaper: an excellent solution would be a combination of ordinary wallpaper and inserts of natural or artificial stone
The decoration of the corridor involves other tricks, and it depends on the type of space – narrow or long, small or wide, etc..
How to choose wallpaper in the corridor: looking for the best solution
As mentioned above, the best option is washable wallpaper..
Washable wallpaper types:
- Vinyl. This is one of the most common options, but not to say that they are at the cutting edge of fashion. Rather, vinyl wallpaper is a classic, affordable in both price and performance. If you take vinyl wallpaper, then most of this type is not afraid of even the impact of a brush, which makes it easy to clean..
- Cork wallpaper. But such a finish is more modern, since with such a coating naturalness, light comes into the interior, they naturally connect the elements of the room. Washing this wallpaper is easy too.
- Fiberglass Wallpaper. You can also glue on such a covering, which looks like a fiberglass cloth. For the hall and corridor, a popular option is the “cobweb” wallpaper. This material is both reinforcing and decorative at the same time..
- The liquid wallpaper. This option is also good, but not all liquid wallpapers are not afraid of moisture. Pay attention to this when choosing a ready-made composition.
Cork wallpaper is made of natural material and is easy to care for: you just need to clean it with a damp cloth
But if you have already figured out what kind of finish will be in the corridor, then sometimes the matter is behind the choice of color and pattern. And here it all depends on the features of the corridor..
Wallpaper in the corridor in Khrushchev
The Khrushchevs do not pamper their residents with a good footage, and so they have to go to different tricks in order to visually expand the space somehow. Many are sure that dark wallpaper in the hallway of the Khrushchev is prohibited – but this is not entirely true. Beautiful combinations with light canvases, the right combination – and the finish will be suitable.
For house type "Khrushchev" the biggest problem is small rooms. You can visually enlarge the room with light-colored wallpaper.
Here are some tricks you can use:
- You can take wallpaper with a pattern of small horizontal lines and strokes;
- If you need to “raise” the ceiling, you will need wallpaper with stripes (vertical), or just with vertical lines;
- For a narrow long corridor, such a finish is suitable – a distant and short wall is pasted over with wallpaper with a darker background than long walls. But the pattern of coatings can be taken the same.
- If in the corridor of the Khrushchev there is a wall free of furniture, the following finish is used – subject wallpaper with a dynamic pattern (a running river, a sailboat on the waves, etc.).
Volumetric dynamic drawing ideally emphasize spot lighting.
Wallpaper for a small corridor in the apartment: the right choice is yours
You can transform the walls in a small corridor with your own hands. This finish is done on a ready-made background. For example, your main background is light wallpaper. You make a drawing with special fluorescent paints. It seems to be invisible at normal times if the light is on. But as soon as the light is turned off, your picture will open, making the space of the corridor alive, dynamic and a little magical. If there are small children in the house, such a decision will definitely become one of the vivid childhood memories..
You can make the room wider with wallpaper with a horizontal stripe.
Modest footage is a factor from which you need to divert attention.
If the corridor is small, there are several ways to hide it, not without the help of wallpaper:
- An interesting print, a game of plot on the wallpaper and a minimum of furniture will breathe air into your corridor;
- You can take light embossed wallpaper in the corridor in the Scandinavian style, either with a very small and rare pattern, or without a pattern at all;
- Highlight one of the walls with a coating with an interesting plot that will attract attention;
- For light monochromatic wallpapers, there is another excellent solution – vinyl stickers that look interesting and original.
Finishing can be done not only with the help of wallpaper, stone is often involved..
Decorating the corridor with stone and wallpaper: practical and stylish
In this case, the basis is a single-color neutral wallpaper that will be in harmony with the stone. That is, you cannot choose, for example, bluish wallpaper and amber stone, these are shades from different scales.
Ornamental stone is usually used, since with natural stone the cost of repairs will increase dramatically.
In addition to decorative stone, you can use natural stone: it gives respectability, but it is more expensive than its artificial counterpart
Two types of materials are used for stone finishing:
- Decorative stone based on modified gypsum;
- Decorative stone based on pigmented cement.
Cement stone is, of course, stronger, but gypsum is easier to process. Also, cement stone is not afraid of moisture, but it is literally twice as heavy as a gypsum counterpart. But after installation, both gypsum and cement stone will look the same..
The walls can be covered with a solid stone, but for a small corridor this is an unfortunate option, but a combination of stone and wallpaper is a perfectly acceptable solution. Most often, the following scheme is used: door slopes are completely processed with stone, but the walls are partially.
Combined cladding with stone and wallpaper makes the corridor more elegant, and interspersed stone enliven the space, making it more dynamic.
Liquid wallpaper in the corridor: how to care for them
If you just paste over the corridor with liquid wallpaper, the operational period will be short, therefore you cannot do without a protective coating.
To protect liquid wallpaper in the corridor from moisture, acrylic varnish and a primer will help.
Liquid wallpaper can eliminate some wallpaper defects: therefore, it is recommended for corridors
Features of the care of liquid wallpaper in the corridor:
- Dirt and dust also settle on them, and this can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner or with a damp cloth;
- If the wallpaper is lacquered, you can safely wash it;
- Liquid wallpaper can be washed in principle if it contains natural silk and a polymer binder (without cellulose).
If you wash wallpaper with a vacuum cleaner, the power should be minimal. Laundry soap dissolved in water gives an excellent result – such a solution also copes with complex dirt. According to many reviews, dishwashing detergent does an excellent job of cleaning liquid wallpaper..
How to make liquid wallpaper with your own hands (video)
Where to start gluing wallpaper in the hallway
Wallpaper in the corridor is glued according to a special scheme. Just like gluing ordinary wallpaper comes down to the principle of “from light”, so here – you start gluing not from the door, but towards the front door.
Today, most wallpapers are glued end-to-end: that is, there is no fundamental difference where you need to glue the wallpaper. You should choose a convenient option for yourself
But you can choose any of the proposed methods:
- From the door. This method is more difficult, since you will have to observe severe verticality. In order for the first sheet to be glued correctly, a plumb line is used.
- From the corner. This option is good if there are perfectly flat walls in the corridor..
- From multiple lines. With this method, many joints are obtained, and it is used if other options are impossible..
It is difficult to say which wallpaper is better to paste over – of course, it is always difficult to reduce a drawing, to make joints. But modern embossed wallpaper is so good in this sense that the seams are almost invisible..
How to glue wallpaper in the corridor (video tutorial)
When renovating an apartment, wallpaper in the corridor is often chosen almost as a last resort, and this place is no less important than the same living room. To add elegance to the corridor, you can combine wallpaper with stone. A combination of wallpapers and wallpapers with complex themes, as well as natural wallpapers are considered fashionable solutions..
Success in repair!
Wallpaper in the corridor in the apartment photo (photo)