Liquid wallpaper has many advantages: low price, ease of application – this is still an incomplete list of all the advantages Today, during repair work for finishing various surfaces, the use of liquid wallpaper is gaining more and more popularity. Although this finishing material is called wallpaper, by the way it is applied to the surface, it can most likely be attributed to plasters.
Liquid wallpaper is becoming a serious competitor due to its advantages over conventional roll wallpaper. But due to the fact that until now they have not been so in demand, many people involved in repairs do not know how to glue liquid wallpaper and some other nuances associated with surface finishing with this material. This article will have to help in solving this issue..
Tools for applying liquid wallpaper
In order to glue the selected liquid wallpaper, you will need some tools that can be easily found in any hardware store.
The exact amount of water for packing a dry mix can be found in the instructions: the required amount of water differs from manufacturer to manufacturer
List of tools:
- A bucket or basin for preparing a solution of liquid wallpaper. One package of dry material will require up to 10 liters of water, so containers must be selected of appropriate volumes.
- Stainless steel trowel or plastic trowel for applying and leveling liquid wallpaper.
- For preliminary surface preparation, you will need a wide spatula for filling work, a paint roller or a brush for applying a primer.
The list contains the basic tools with which you can finish the liquid wallpaper yourself. If desired, it can be supplemented with various specialized tools, for example, transparent trowels (trowels) are used for uniform application, which are very convenient when working with liquid wallpaper.
How to choose glue for liquid wallpaper
When we glue roll wallpaper, we usually face an important question of choosing a good glue. After all, this decision is associated with the reliability of the final result..
KMTs glue – the most suitable option for liquid wallpaper
For gluing liquid wallpaper, special glue is not needed, because it is already contained in the dry mixture. Most often, the composition of the wallpaper includes KMS glue, which is a non-toxic and environmentally friendly substance, so the selected material can be used in the decoration of children’s and medical institutions.
Is it possible to glue liquid wallpaper on an unprepared surface
An unexpected property of liquid wallpaper is that it is not too demanding on the state of the work surface. But, even in spite of the fact that small cracks can be hidden without putting putty on the walls, it will not be possible to remove too noticeable irregularities with the help of liquid wallpaper alone..
Therefore, before applying this finishing material, it is still recommended to do surface preparation..
Before gluing liquid wallpaper, you should get rid of all layers of the old finishing material: paint or plaster, which can later fall off the surface. Severe irregularities in the walls are corrected with a putty. To increase the strength of the glued surface, it must be carefully treated with a primer, as a result of which the moisture absorption of the walls will decrease and the consumption of the material used will decrease..
Despite the fact that liquid wallpaper can be applied to an imperfect surface, nevertheless, you should definitely prepare the wall before applying it.
The presented type of wallpaper can withstand a wide range of temperatures, therefore it can be used for finishing surfaces for various purposes: the material can be glued to external walls, fireplaces, walls and ceilings of internal rooms, and many other rooms.
Bonding to various coatings:
- For gluing the material on the OSB boards, it is necessary to carry out thorough preparatory work. Firstly, all the joints of the plates are sealed with adhesive reinforcing flight (serpyanka), adhesive plaster or special tape, and only then putty. Secondly, after priming and filling the entire area of the slabs, it is recommended to glue a layer of any paper, the main thing is that it does not have a relief, be thin enough and not oiled. Only after these events can you apply liquid wallpaper finishing, while the material will firmly adhere to the surface..
- To glue this type of wallpaper on a drywall wall, you need to close up all the joints and seams at the joints of the sheets. In addition, the caps of the fastening elements: nails and screws, must be painted over and putty. Next, the entire surface of the sheets is putty and primed. Only then can a layer of material be applied to the drywall.
- It is considered an excellent solution to apply liquid wallpaper to old wallpaper, while only pre-treating the surface with a primer. This is mistake. When applying material to old finishes, you run the risk of problems such as peeling layers and the formation of bubbles on the surface..
The latter method, as well as the option of gluing roll wallpaper on liquid wallpaper, is not recommended by experts..
Liquid wallpaper: the secrets of the master (video)
Instructions for the use of liquid wallpaper
This type of wallpaper is a mixture of materials sold ready-made or separately. It is recommended to dilute the mixture in advance so that the solution has time to infuse for about 12 hours. In this case, you need to fill the container with a sufficient amount of water, add additional components, such as dyes or glitters, and only then add the main mixture.
With liquid wallpaper, you can create real drawings: it is quite difficult, but the complexity justifies the result.
It should be borne in mind that a mixture from one package should be properly diluted in its own container, and only after preparation should be mixed with ready-made mixtures from other packages.
It is best to stir the prepared mixture with your own hands, without using special tools. Since only natural substances are used in the manufacture of dry mixes, such a procedure is completely safe for humans, while using construction mixers can spoil the final look of the finishing material..
Before diluting the dry mixture, it is recommended to pay attention to the consumption of the finishing material. Most often, manufacturers claim that one kilogram of dry mix is enough to finish 5 or even 6 m2 of surface, although in fact it is worth counting on a maximum of 4 m2. Therefore, when purchasing liquid wallpaper, it is best to take a small amount of material “in reserve”, because even after installation, the ready-made solution of the material used retains all its properties for a long time.
How to glue liquid wallpaper on the wall
Many people who have not yet encountered this type of finishing material are wondering how to glue liquid wallpaper, because they are so different from ordinary ones.
You can take care of the wallpaper with a cloth or vacuum cleaner.
The process of applying this material can be done by yourself, it is simple and the least expensive. To do this, a portion of the finished solution is collected and applied to the wall using tools (spatula, pistol). After that, the liquid mixture is rubbed over the surface with a layer thickness of 2-3 mm..
If you yourself are engaged in surface finishing, it is worth remembering that during the work, the ambient temperature should not be lower than 10 ºС, and the room must be periodically ventilated.
How to glue liquid wallpaper (video)
It has been established that it can take from 1 to 3 days to evaporate all moisture from liquid wallpaper. When using this type of finishing material in a bathroom or kitchen, the finished surface can be covered with additional protection against negative factors of the operating environment..
Following these simple rules, you would easily cope with the task.
Examples of liquid wallpaper on the wall (photo)