Often, wallpaper in the interior is equated with the king’s dress, because it is a kind of clothing for the walls Vinyl wallpaper, as they are called otherwise, is a wall covering on a non-woven or paper base. But why then vinyl, and is the name right?
Vinyl wallpaper: what is it
Paper or non-woven is the lower layer of this type of wallpaper, but the upper one is made of polyvinyl chloride, which is simply called vinyl. This coating contains polymers and often includes special antifungal impregnations..
The main difference between vinyl wallpaper and paper wallpaper is increased strength and resistance to damage.
Vinyl wallpaper will celebrate its 70th anniversary next year, as it was years ago that the first vinyl wallpaper tube was introduced..
Vinyl wallpaper: description
The top layer of such wallpaper is most often decorated with something – thematic illustrations, motifs, plots, or some interesting embossing. Since all innovations of light industry are involved in the manufacture of vinyl wallpaper, the coating is simultaneously elegant, aesthetic, effective in appearance, and sufficiently durable and resistant to mechanical damage..
What is the difference between vinyl wallpaper and paper (video)
Performance characteristics: vinyl wallpaper
Polyvinyl chloride is not the basis of the wallpaper, but only a decorative layer. The base is made of non-woven or paper.
PVC – polyvinyl chloride is a colorless plastic. Its operational properties are quite good, the composition is water-repellent, it also repels fat and salt. This material, by the way, is used to make artificial leather, film, furniture edge.
Pros and cons of vinyl wallpaper
The advantages of this type of wallpaper, of course, will not take two or three points. And not all the potential buyer knows about.
Pros of vinyl wallpaper:
- Such wallpaper can be used to paste over virtually any surface – from a concrete wall to drywall and plaster;
- Embossed wallpaper, due to its texture, helps to hide small wall defects;
- Vinyl wallpaper is applicable in a wide variety of rooms;
- A rich palette of colors, drawings, plots;
- Wallpaper format options – both standard sizes and wide, meter-long wallpapers;
- Choice of models, from fairly budget to luxury.
Vinyl wallpaper is washable, which is incredibly easy to use. Moreover, some types of vinyl wallpaper can be washed even with the use of chemicals
It is impossible, of course, by putting the pros in the foreground, without touching on the cons that vinyl wallpaper has..
Cons of vinyl wallpaper:
- They do not belong to the type of breathable wallpaper, but all because the top layer resists the influence of moisture, which interferes with interaction with air (however, there are wallpapers made using technology with the creation of special micropores);
- It is not always easy to glue the walls with vinyl wallpaper, and it’s not even about the process, but about following all the technologies and instructions;
- Poorly tolerate temperature and humidity changes.
If an air conditioner is installed in the room, some disadvantages can be avoided
The last point does not mean that you will feel these disadvantages very quickly in practice. But if you want, for example, to ventilate the room in frosty weather, and in the meantime it will be above 22 in the room, then cases of deformation of the wallpaper are not excluded.
Is vinyl wallpaper harmful to health: the answer of experts
After rereading the cons of vinyl wallpaper for walls, many will be surprised that it is not said about the harm of this material, about the environmental friendliness of wallpaper. There is already a well-established opinion that vinyl wallpaper is not safe for humans. But what is dangerous – very few people know.
This myth is associated with a simple judgment: the upper layer of polyvinyl chloride is the brainchild of chemical production, and chemistry is a priori harmful to health..
But the obvious harm lies only in the fact that the wallpaper does not “breathe”. But the toxic fumes of formaldehyde, which really affect the development of allergies in humans, have nothing to do with high-quality vinyl wallpaper.
Cheap Chinese fakes may well answer the myth about the dangers of wallpaper, so you should beware of wallpapers of unknown origin with a suspiciously cheap price.
It is not necessary to purchase expensive imports, the same wallpaper from the domestic producer “Mayakprint” is not inferior to foreign counterparts.
Vinyl wallpaper: looking for a safe option (video)
Vinyl wallpaper: customer reviews
The same reviews have considerable advantages when choosing wallpaper: for example, people advise each other how to distinguish real high-quality vinyl wallpaper from a fake.
Reviews – how to choose vinyl wallpaper:
- Be sure to read the information on the label;
- Do not buy wallpaper with a pronounced smell;
- Unwind the roll at home, but do not cut it right away, but check for defects.
If the roll smells at least something, and the smell is sharply chemical, it is definitely not worth buying it. Vinyl wallpaper doesn’t smell like anything
And, of course, familiarize yourself in advance with the possible designations that say how to glue, and how long the wallpaper dries, etc..
Vinyl Wallpaper Legend
The designations on the labels are a whole alphabet, and a separate material must be given a complete decoding of all the icons. But you can limit yourself to the list of the most common.
Basic signage icons on vinyl wallpaper rolls
- Single line. This wallpaper will be resistant to moisture.
- Two lines. This already speaks of increased stability..
- Three lines. Accordingly, high stability.
- Filled sun semicircle. Speaks of sufficient lightfastness.
- Unfilled semicircle of the sun with a cross inside. Speaks of relative lightfastness.
- Hollow circle of the sun. Good light fastness mark.
- Hollow circle of the sun with a cross inside. High light fastness.
- Two hollow dots in the form of a colon. Very high light fastness.
- Arrow / Fraction / Zero. No need to adjust the drawing.
- Two multidirectional arrows and a fraction. Undefined drawing.
Of course, there are a number of signs that tell you how to use the glue, which one, and whether it has already been applied to the surface..
How to choose vinyl wallpaper (video)
Types of vinyl wallpaper
Vinyl wallpaper differs by type of coating.
Wallpaper has four main types of coverage:
- Foamed vinyl. They are distinguished by a clear, very pronounced relief. This is a light wallpaper, easy to work with, easy to remove. The porous surface makes this type of wallpaper water-permeable, but in this regard, wetting them is not worth much..
- Heavy (smooth vinyl). It is a durable, washable coating. The color of such a coating does not fade in the sun. Such wallpapers are often glued in rooms with high humidity..
- Hard vinyl. A very dense, moreover, water-permeable material, outwardly often resembling decorative plaster, tiles or textile covering.
- Silkscreen. The surface of such vinyl wallpaper resembles silk, thanks to the hot stamping method. The showiness of these wallpapers has made them extremely popular in recent years..
Vinyl wallpapers come in structural, hot and chemical embossing
Solid wallpaper is sometimes referred to as compact vinyl.
Compact vinyl wallpaper: what makes them special
Firstly, this wallpaper is perfect for a kitchen or bathroom, that is, rooms with high humidity. Secondly, they allow you to create in a room a certain imitation of a more expensive or original coating – natural stone, decorative plaster, expensive textiles.
It is interesting that outwardly the effect is so great that only a close examination can reveal the so-called substitution. Only unlike the same stone or textiles, it is very easy to care for them, which increases the service life of such wallpapers..
Vinyl wallpaper in the interior
Modern design has transformed wallpaper from a standard covering into almost unlimited possibilities. The walls visually move, the rooms become wider and higher, they are zoned, styles are clearly traced. And this undoubtedly applies to vinyl wallpaper.
Decorative panels made of vinyl wallpaper are not uncommon in design. They help to decorate empty walls with style and taste.
Examples of interior transformation with vinyl wallpaper:
- LPs. Such a print can play up the name of the vinyl in an original way, and is suitable for a young man’s room or, for example, a studio apartment..
- Yellow wallpaper with flowers. This is a sunny interior, if the flowers are small – Provence style, large stylized flowers in pronounced computer graphics – eclecticism, pop art, etc..
- Sky with clouds. For a spacious nursery, a very good option.
- Strip. This is a classic. Moreover, it is not necessary to paste over all four walls in the room with such wallpaper, only the central.
- White. Ideal for scandi style or small living room.
With a wallpaper with a retro or vintage touch, you can recreate the interior of a bygone era in the stylish thirties or fifties..
Wallpaper vinyl in wall decoration (video)
Vinyl wallpaper is a material that provides an opportunity to make your home not typical, not faceless, but thin, sophisticated, interesting and unique. Buy a quality product, follow the instructions when gluing, follow the rules of care.
Vinyl wallpaper design (photo)