Non-woven wallpaper is becoming more and more popular in the building materials market Non-woven wallpaper is a modern, stylish decorative wall covering, wallpaper that has conquered the market literally over the last ten years. And this is the reason for the high performance properties of the wallpaper and their external persuasiveness. Non-woven wallpaper is a two-layer coating, namely a non-woven backing and a decorative top layer. It was the backing that gave the name to the wallpaper..
Non-woven wallpaper: what is it
A non-woven base is a coating that definitely outperforms a paper one in terms of its strength. Non-woven fabric is a sheet of compressed fibers. Cellulose fiber and special additives make such wallpaper durable, elastic, durable, not afraid of scratches and not strong pressure.
When gluing non-woven wallpaper, the glue is applied to the wall; it is not necessary to apply glue to the wallpaper itself: this is one of the important advantages of such wallpaper
In a word, where paper wallpapers are at risk of deformation, non-woven wallpapers use their technical properties to the utmost..
Pros and cons of non-woven wallpaper
The benefits of this wallpaper are a really big list..
Pros of non-woven wallpaper:
- When the house shrinks, such wallpaper does not deform;
- Wallpaper for painting is allowed to be repainted 6-7 times;
- To remove these wallpapers, they do not need to be moistened with water – they can be easily removed without that (and how much time it saves);
- Low consumption of glue, because you only need to coat the wall, and this also saves time;
- Non-woven wallpaper is breathable, because they tend to allow air and water to pass through, but if a vinyl layer is applied to the non-woven, these properties are lost;
- These wallpapers have high lightfastness;
- They are not toxic;
- You can glue non-woven wallpaper on any surface, on drywall, concrete, wood, chipboard.
Pluses rarely exist without minuses, which, however, are few in number..
The main disadvantage of non-woven wallpaper is poor sound insulation.
Cons of non-woven wallpaper:
- Compared with paper, the cost of non-woven is significantly higher;
- They are not distinguished by high thermal insulation and sound insulation.
On average, the characteristics are not bad: they dry quickly, they are environmentally friendly, they have a considerable service life with proper care, any width – you want, take the standard ones, or you want meter ones. All you need is glue on the walls, and, of course, the preparation of the walls.
Non-woven wallpaper: reviews
How many opinions, so many reviews. But if the cons and advantages can be found in the “characteristics” section, then the information content of the reviews is higher if there are some practical advice. For example, which brand to choose, which roll sizes are preferable for certain rooms, how many rolls are needed, how quickly certain wallpapers dry.
Although it is not necessary to apply glue to the wallpaper, before gluing the wallpaper, it is imperative to prime and putty the wall.
The following points can be noted in the reviews:
- The surface color must be uniform before gluing;
- Only special glue for non-woven wallpaper should be used (how many and what proportions are indicated in the instructions);
- If a wall primer is needed, do not skip this step;
- First check the web in a roll for defects, and only then cut the strips.
Much also depends on the type of wallpaper..
Types and characteristics of non-woven wallpaper
Here it is worth explaining what exactly non-woven wallpaper is, and what non-woven wallpaper is. Many people confuse these concepts, and then they are surprised that the wallpaper does not meet their expectations..
Non-woven wallpaper looks more like thick paper than, in fact, the non-woven wallpaper itself
Each type of wallpaper has its own fundamental differences, they affect both the price and the features of the application of wallpaper.
What both types of wallpaper look like:
- Non-woven wallpapers can be called those that are made exclusively from non-woven. This is a multi-layer coating, the layers are all even and smooth, with the exception of the top one. Usually the top layer is embossed, possibly hot stamping.
- Non-woven wallpaper. The first, lower layer in such wallpaper is non-woven, and the second is either textile or paper. The top layer determines how the coating looks as a whole. The top layer, of course, is also responsible for the throughput of the wallpaper, for the possibility of painting them, etc..
And although in fact these are two different types of wallpaper, among the people, both are usually called non-woven. After all, from what they are made – from non-woven, in one way or another.
Non-woven wallpaper: composition
By its composition, non-woven wallpaper is a finishing non-woven material made from natural fibers. It has a cellulose content of up to 70%, as well as textile fibers, and, of course, binder polymers.
Due to its special composition, these wallpapers are easy to clean.
The product resembles paper in its structure, but its characteristics speak of increased wear resistance, high strength indicators and such an important property as “the ability to breathe”.
The material is considered environmentally friendly and is also used in the clothing industry..
Non-woven wallpaper designations
Wallpaper markings help you figure out how to use the wallpaper correctly, how long it takes to dry, and whether it can be washed. In the same place on the label you will read whether they correspond to GOST, in a word, a whole characteristic in conventional designations.
It is imperative to pay attention to the marking in order to know about the most important performance characteristics of the wallpaper.
Pictures-designations on the wallpaper:
- Brush and three wavy lines. Wet care possible.
- Sun. Good light fastness.
- Brush at the vertical line. The glue is applied only to the wall.
- Horizontal brush. Glue is applied to the wallpaper.
- One wavy line. Washable wallpaper.
- Three wavy lines. It is super-washable, abrasion resistant.
- Half sun. Average light fastness.
There are also letter designations, for example, if wallpaper (any) is intended for painting, you will see the letters “STR”.
Palette of colors
Usually, non-woven mural wallpapers are not the brightest colors, although they, of course, are in the palette. It’s just that the texture of the non-woven wallpaper itself is bright enough that it is not at all necessary to play it with color. But bright colors can be obtained if you choose to paint the wallpaper..
It is best to use acrylic or water-based paint
Wallpaper produced in Italy is a stylish print, attention to detail, modernity. But Russia does not lag behind in wallpaper design – from a strict stripe to the most interesting patterns with flowers.
As for the fashionable palette, in the 2016 season, deep, juicy colors of natural shades will be relevant. For example, juicy olive, rich eggplant, soft emerald.
Non-woven backing for wallpaper
Construction non-woven is often used as a backing for wallpaper. It is a roll-to-roll non-woven fabric made from modified cellulose. This material is valuable because it is vapor-permeable, which contributes to the natural ventilation of the walls. And natural ventilation, in turn, is a good removal of moisture and dampness from the room..
This backing is perfect for a kitchen or bedroom.
The non-woven base, moreover, perfectly levels the wall, removing minor wall defects. This ensures the elasticity of the material. The length of the roll of construction non-woven fabric is 10-12 meters, the width is from 0.6 m to one meter.
Non-woven backing can be used in all rooms.
Can non-woven wallpaper be washed
If you see the appropriate designation on the wallpaper, then you can definitely wash them. They dry pretty quickly, just do not overdo it with washing.
Talc can be used to remove greasy stains.
Wallpaper cleaning tips:
- If you see stains, for example, from fingerprints, try to erase them with a regular eraser – often this is enough;
- In case of serious dirt, put a paper napkin on the stain, then iron this place with a heated iron;
- Remove small stains with a dampened sponge;
- Wash the wallpaper gently, effortlessly, using either a mild soapy solution or a mild detergent.
Wallpaper smooth with flock is also allowed to be washed with warm water and diluted soap. If varnish has got on the wallpaper, you can remove it with nail polish remover.
How to wash wallpaper (video tutorial)
Why is non-woven wallpaper bubbling
If bubbles appear on the wallpaper, it means that the wallpaper gluing technology has been violated. You either did not prepare the wall, or you applied the glue in the wrong way (or the glue is not the same), or maybe the temperature regime is violated.
Bubbles, by the way, are not only an unaesthetic sight, it is also the risk of large stratification of the wallpaper and the likelihood that insects will begin to breed under them..
If, while gluing the wallpaper, air gets under the wallpaper itself, then there is a possibility of bubbles
You can remove bubbles like this:
- Smooth the canvas with a roller or soft cloth;
- The bubble can be pierced with a medical syringe, and only then smoothed;
- The bulky bubble will help remove the smooth blade, and by making an incision at the bottom of the bulge, fill the voids with a syringe.
Do not glue the wallpaper at temperatures above 23 degrees, apply the glue composition to the canvas evenly, get glue with a pink indicator. And lubricate the strip of fabric correctly: from top to bottom, from the center to the edges.
Does the non-woven wallpaper shine through after drying?
Non-woven wallpaper can show through if it is light, thin, and the wall was originally darker. You can also solve this problem in the store – attach a piece of wallpaper to some surface, preferably multi-colored. It will be immediately clear whether the drawing will show through.
If you just need light and thin wallpapers, prepare the wall carefully: align its color with white primer or white paint.
If the wallpaper is to be applied to a concrete base, then dark-colored wallpaper should be used. In addition, it is imperative to putty the wall: in addition to leveling the wall, the concrete surface becomes lighter
Ask in the store how the wallpaper will behave when gluing, how to store the wallpaper, if you are just planning a repair, what kind of glue the manufacturer advises to purchase.
How to glue non-woven wallpaper (video tutorial)
Non-woven wallpaper is a good choice, use it correctly, glue it according to the instructions, choose a convenient size. And then the price will justify itself, and the repair will not be delayed, and you will be completely satisfied with the result..
Have a good choice!
Non-woven wallpaper (photo)