With the help of moldings, you can create unique panels Moldings in the interior are used to decorate walls. Thanks to them, you can create different shapes and design them in different styles. Such interior details can be combined with paint, wallpaper, decorative plaster, MDF details. Moldings can be used in the zoning of the room or visually divide long sections into smaller ones..
Modern style: wall decoration with wallpaper and moldings
Decorating walls with wallpaper and moldings is one of the popular wall decor techniques among many designers. Molding is an overhead decor with which you can add relief and volume in a standard interior.
Moldings are used from different materials, but more often polyurethane, polystyrene or plastic is used. The prevalence of these materials indicates ease of installation, low cost and good qualities – strength, durability and lightness..
With the help of moldings, you can emphasize all the originality of wall painting, paintings or other works of art
Application options for moldings:
- Moldings of white tones on a dark wall. Moldings are used not only for wall decoration, but also for window and door openings, ceilings and furniture. White molding is used to decorate a room with dark-colored walls to make the interior more cozy and airy. There is also a technique when the ceiling line, plinth and molding are observed in the same tone. Therefore, you can emphasize all the originality of wall painting, paintings or other works of art..
- Light wall moldings in pastel colors. This combination is appropriately used in the living room. Thus, you can accentuate paintings or family photos. You can highlight the recreation area with a monochromatic molding, directing the light with a ceiling lamp or a luxurious floor lamp on the composition.
- Colored moldings. Such wall moldings have gained particular attention this season. They are painted in a color a tone or two higher, or vice versa below the color of the wall, in the main color of the walls or in saturated tones..
With the right selection and handling, moldings can create real architectural compositions.
To create unique architectural elements on the walls, you just need to turn on your imagination and plan everything exactly, then the result will not keep you waiting.
Wallpaper with molding in the interior: various options
Wallpaper with molding in the interior over the past decades has become very popular and decorates the homes of many people. Such decorative elements not only decorate your walls, but can also perform practical functions in the room..
Molding applications and design:
- Doors and windows. By gluing the molding along the border of the window opening and painting it with paint of the same shade as the frame, you will be able to visually enlarge the window. Moldings glued around doorways will look the same..
- Walls. Decorating with molding at the joints of various materials will be appropriate. For example, a wall 60-70 cm from the floor can be covered with wallpaper, and above it, painted with paint. Then the molding in this case, which will be painted to match the wallpaper, will create an additional decorating effect and will not let the wallpaper come off along the line of their gluing. The design can be complemented by dividing the wall with moldings in the lower part into squares and gluing a decorative baguette.
- Ceiling. To increase the height of the room, you should arrange a double strip of moldings like a ceiling molding with a gap of a couple of centimeters.
With moldings, you can create an unusual design of the room that will not leave anyone indifferent.
They also lay out various rhythmic structures on the walls with moldings or decorate photographs, paintings, panels, and other decorative compositions..
Molding painting (video)
How to separate the combination of two types of wallpaper on the wall
How to separate the wallpaper of the two types on the wall? You will think. There are not so many options, but one of the most popular is the design of such combinations with moldings that will give your interior an unusual and modern look..
When decorating a room, you can initially paint the walls with paint or glue wallpaper on them, and then, upon completion of the initial processing, glue inserts that are cut from the wallpaper and have a large thickness. And for greater beauty, such inserts are proposed to be decorated with moldings. This method of decoration is suitable for rooms that are decorated in baroque or classic style..
Moldings are used not only for separating wallpaper, but also for a decorative effect. Depending on the size of the wallpaper layers, the molding can be glued on top or “cut” into the wall
By combining several types of wallpaper and dividing them with modings, you can zone any space. Thanks to this approach, each family member can get their own corner. The main thing is to arrange the furniture correctly.
Varieties of wall moldings and their application
Varieties of wall moldings can be made from different building materials and should also correspond to the overall design of the facade walls. Next, consider what types of moldings are.
- Gypsum. Stucco molding made of gypsum has decorative properties. Gypsum moldings are installed on walls, ceilings, as well as in the gap between these surfaces. They are fastened with alabaster, which has excellent performance.
- Polyurethane. Like gypsum moldings, they are fixed to walls and ceilings with special acrylic glue. After installation, such a molding is required in additional painting..
- Wood. In most options, these are corners, rail, various platbands that can be installed in any place. Installation is carried out with glue and nails at the same time.
- Metal. The most popular representatives of such products are step corners, aluminum thresholds and tile corners. They are installed in two ways – either they are installed behind the facing material and held by glue, or they are fastened with self-tapping screws.
- Plastic. Among plastic products, wall covers and corners are mainly found. An exception may be plastic skirting boards..
- Self-adhesive molding. This type can be made from different materials, but most of them are rubber and plastic. The representative of such products is the curb tape, which is made of rubber and is used to join the bathtub with the walls. An equally common type of self-adhesive molding is a groove molding. Install it in the groove and serve as a decorative element.
When choosing a skirting board, pay attention to the material from which it is made and to its width.
With flat walls, opt for wood moldings, but be prepared for high prices.
It should be noted that cheap moldings made of inexpensive wood species are perfect for clapboard rooms.
The best choice would be a polyurethane skirting board. It is of low cost and easy to install. The higher the ceiling, the wider the molding should be.
Deep embossed baguettes will be harder to handle from dust
Now you have learned a lot about moldings and what materials they are made of. With proper handling, real architectural compositions can be created in the house. It’s never too late to start showing imagination, and in working with moldings this is an important phenomenon..
Installation options for moldings
There are several options for installing moldings today. It is important to get started to calculate the amount of all material. The dimensions of the room, measured in meters, must be divided by two and you will get the length of one element of the standard size.
There are two ways in skirting installation technology:
- Installation on wallpaper. Fastenings are made to a prepared, aligned and wallpapered wall.
- Bare wall mounting. Before starting the process, it is necessary to prime and putty the walls. As a result, the ceiling with the baguette will look like one whole, and the cornice will hold on more reliably..
Ceiling moldings are used to enrich the style of the interior of the living space
Craftsmen advise to start gluing the plinth from the corners of the room, as this is the most difficult installation process. First, you should attach all the corners, and then glue the straight strips of dumbbells between them.
How to glue molding on the wallpaper (video)
If you listen to our recommendations for working with decorative elements – moldings, then the installation process will seem quite simple for you. As a result, your room will acquire unprecedented beauty and grace thanks to decorative fillets..
Moldings for separating wallpaper in the interior (photo)