Today, a mosaic apron is a non-trivial and time-tested alternative to large-format ceramic tiles, porcelain stoneware, stone or glass Mosaic on the wall in the kitchen is always very beautiful, if, of course, the laying of such tiles is ideal. On the question of whether mosaic tiles are in fashion, they are definitely in fashion. This is already a classic solution that has been used in interior fashion for more than a decade, and with the improvement of materials, the design of such a kitchen composition is also being improved..
Mosaic apron in the kitchen: what it is and how it looks
An apron is a wall area in the kitchen above the stove, sink and work surface. Typically, this area is limited to the top of the headset wall cabinets or open shelves..
Of course, this area, like no other, is susceptible to splashing water and grease, therefore it must be protected from these natural factors by the strength of its materials..
The main and important task of a kitchen apron is to protect your wall from moisture, soot and dirt.
One of these protection options is a tile laid out in the form of a mosaic. Mosaic is the same ceramic tile, only small. Usually tiles of different colors are used to make the mosaic look bright and play.
Advantages of a tile mosaic:
- Wide range of colors and shapes;
- The ability to apply mosaics to any kind of surface, even a curved one;
- The tile is not afraid of temperature effects, moisture, aggressive cleaning agents, ultraviolet radiation;
- The possibility of interior transformation.
To mount mosaic tiles, you need to buy a mesh for attaching pieces of mosaic.
Self-adhesive mosaic: what is it
Indeed, today a kitchen apron can be made using this type of mosaic..
This coating is perfect for flat, smooth walls..
Features of Self Adhesive Mosaic Tile:
- It is held on the surface by a special film;
- Such a mosaic looks like a slab, where on the one hand there is a decor, on the other – an adhesive composition;
- The thickness of such a plate reaches half a centimeter;
- To attach it, you just need to level the surface.
Self-adhesive mosaic is deservedly considered the most interesting and effective finishing material for kitchen decoration.
And then it’s simple – a special layer is removed, exposing the adhesive part, the mosaic is applied to the wall, and it is fixed in two or three minutes.
It is very important to attach this slab correctly during installation, since it will be impossible to separate it from the wall later (at least without consequences).
The front part of such a mosaic is specially divided into cells, in which the decorative elements are laid in a special way, due to which the texture and relief are observed.
How to lay out mosaics in the kitchen (video)
Mosaic kitchen apron: how to do it yourself
There is nothing extra complicated in laying tiles, but the order of work and some of the nuances of the technology must be observed.
First of all, you need to prepare well the surface of the kitchen wall where the apron will be. To do this, remove the old finish and then prime the surface. Why primer – so that the tile is well fixed on the wall, and the apron does not begin to fall apart piece by piece over time.
Ideal if you are laying tiles on the wall that are already fixed in the grid. Then she will lie flat and accurately hide some irregularities..
A mosaic kitchen apron will create a unique mood and make the interior truly luxurious
What you need to create such a kitchen apron:
- The tile itself;
- Wool roller (to prime the surface);
- Building level;
If you decide to use self-adhesive tiles under the apron, degrease the wall surface well.
To level the wall, use a putty or plaster. Purchase a latex adhesive to secure the tiles. It is durable and holds tiles well.
How to lay out tiles in a mosaic correctly
Treat the wall with glue, but very carefully, evenly and not very greasy. Special plastic crosses are often used for laying out..
Features of laying out the mosaic:
- Any tile, no matter what pattern it is, should be laid out horizontally. It is thanks to this that she will lie flat.
- Lay the first row vertically, and then be guided by this row..
- Each tile must be carefully coated with glue, and applied to the wall.
- If you use a grid, then first glue it on the wall, and then lay out the tiles in the cells, securely fixing.
For creative people, the most interesting and exciting part of the work will be pasting the mosaic on the wall
The seams on the tiles can be rubbed by hand, or you can do it with a pistol.
In most cases, a mesh with a mosaic is purchased, which greatly simplifies all manipulations, you just need to glue the mesh on a flat surface – and your kitchen apron is ready.
Mosaic on the kitchen apron reviews: what they say
You can read about how such a mosaic looks after repair, is it difficult to glue it in reviews on various forums.
Most often, reviews are of this kind:
- Mosaic greatly transforms the kitchen, makes it more stylish;
- If you do everything according to the instructions, then the tile can form a mosaic in four hours;
- A mosaic made of mirror material can be the best addition to a kitchen made in the glass-metal-plastic (that is, high-tech) style, slightly coloring it with such an interesting accent.
An important and convenient property for housewives is that the mosaic kitchen apron is easy to clean with soapy water.
It remains only to say how to keep the mosaic apron clean. You can simply wipe it with a damp cloth every day, and once a week use a soap solution or special agents that dissolve fat..
A kitchen with a mirror mosaic will have to be washed many times more often, because on a mirror surface any trace is more obvious.
Mosaic apron in the kitchen (video)
A mosaic for a kitchen apron is an option that will add dynamics to the kitchen space, decorate a modest atmosphere and create the necessary coziness. Choosing this option, you already avoid simple interior solutions, bringing your interesting ideas, ideas, design solutions to the decoration of the kitchen space.
Tile for an apron in the kitchen mosaic (photo)