The use of a decorative box for the hood can decorate any kitchen When installing built-in appliances, the problem often arises of how to hide the electrical appliance itself, the air duct and the leading communications to it and ventilation. Kitchen hoods located above the stove can often be at a decent distance from the ventilation hole, and corrugations stretched out half a room may not always look aesthetically pleasing..
A little about exhaust systems
The cooker hood in the modern kitchen is as essential a household appliance as the refrigerator has always been. The exhaust system is not so much a design element as an important functional component of the technical equipment of the kitchen, which contributes to its ventilation. A box for a kitchen hood should harmoniously complement the interior of the room, perfectly combined with household appliances, furniture and general design.
Serious mechanisms and air purification filters can be hidden behind a seemingly simple hood box.
Before choosing a specific version of the box, it is necessary to determine the type of available kitchen hood and determine the distance at which the air duct is located. The typical type of decorative box will depend on this.. Hoods may differ in the way they are attached:
- Open type. This type implies the placement of all elements of the system in plain sight. It is capable of performing a decorative function, therefore, in special cases, only a corrugation and an air duct may need to be hidden by a box. The cost of open-type hoods is much higher than others, since a number of specialists are working on their design.
Dome hood refers to open type exhaust systems.
- Inline type. Exhaust systems of this type are practically inaccessible to the eye, only their front part is visible. All structural components, including the air duct, are carefully hidden by the ventilation box.
Built-in hoods are the most popular today due to their brevity..
The shape of the hoods are:
- Ostrovnaya. This system is fixed to the ceiling without touching the walls. Most often used in island-style kitchens with square or rectangular worktops, including a hob in the middle of the kitchen area..
- Wall the hood is attached directly to the adjacent wall. The installation of a wall-mounted exhaust system requires a certain ceiling height and free space on the wall. This type does not need to be connected to ventilation..
- Built-in a flat-look hood is the most concise option for small kitchens. This type of hood is attached to a supporting box or an adjacent wall. Due to the type of cleaning, this design does not include bulky air ducts.
- Corner. In terms of the mounting system and design features, the corner hood is similar to the wall hood. A distinctive feature of the corner exhaust system is the triangular shape, it is installed only when the hob or stove is in the corner of the kitchen set.
Exhaust systems can have different designs and shapes, they are united only by the need to hide structural elements and connect to ventilation.
Decorative boxes materials
For an exhaust system of a certain type and the communications leading to it, decorative boxes are made from different materials that perform both functional and aesthetic functions. A decorative box for an exhaust hood in the kitchen can be a supporting element of the structure, can significantly reduce the noise level during the operation of this electrical appliance, as well as hide the technical components behind a beautiful case.
It is better to select a hood box that is identical in style to the hood. This is the only way to achieve harmony and get rid of the imbalance in the design of the kitchen.
The exhaust box can be made by hand or you can order a model from specialists, specifying the exact dimensions.
The exhaust duct has varieties according to materials of manufacture:
- natural wood;.
- MDF or chipboard;
- stainless steel or aluminum.
Any material for making a box has its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages, so carefully study all the properties of the purchased product before buying.
The ventilation box is located above the working area of the kitchen, therefore, like any kitchen surface, it is susceptible to various kinds of chemical reactions arising from cooking. Burns, grease, steam settle on it, unpleasant odors accumulate, so the box needs to be cleaned regularly, just like other kitchen surfaces..
The material for the exhaust duct must be resistant to chemical and mechanical influences, as well as moisture and temperature fluctuations.
Extraction box made of plastic or plastic
Such air ducts fulfill a decorative and functional role. The plastic box is rectangular, it can have a round cross-section.
Compared to a round duct, a rectangular exhaust duct attracts less attention in the room.
Plastic hoods for hoods not only cost less than their metal counterparts, but are also not inferior to them in terms of their characteristics
The main advantages of plastic boxes:
- Easy to install. The plastic box can be easily assembled according to the “bell-pipe” principle.
- Low noise level. Due to the structure of the material and the rigid construction, the decorative plastic hood box in the kitchen can significantly reduce the noise during the operation of the hood. The box conducts air quietly, practically does not resonate with its flows.
- Strength. Over time, plastic air ducts do not form crevices or cracks into which soot can penetrate.
- Smooth inner surface, thanks to which plastic air ducts need to be cleaned less often than metal ones.
- Long service life. Plastic is exposed to time very slowly compared to natural materials. Also, this material is not prone to corrosion and does not form condensation..
- Light weight, which greatly facilitates the installation of the structure. It will also be much easier during operation to clean the air duct..
When assembling and installing a decorative plastic box you should pay attention to the following points:
- Impermeable connection. When assembling the plastic box, it is important to follow the correct sequence while moving towards the socket. The joints are not always sealed, since the plastic itself is quite flexible and there are no additional seals in the structure. Therefore, it is recommended to treat the joints with silicone so that polluted air does not penetrate into the room during operation..
- Installation strength. Fasteners should be installed at least every meter of the line. Experienced experts advise installing fasteners at the joints of the box.
GKL (drywall) box
If the hood has already been installed and all communication systems are connected, it becomes necessary to hide structural elements that do not always have an aesthetic appearance. One of the most commonly used materials for this is wall or moisture-resistant drywall, which, after installation, can be putty and covered with any finishing material..
Using a drywall box is the best way to disguise the exhaust duct.
Advantages of a drywall box:
- Ease of installation. The structure can be assembled by hand without much difficulty..
- The ability to assemble a structure of any desired shape. The box can be rectangular, square or part of the ceiling structure.
- Strength. Plasterboard structures are strong enough and durable when used correctly.
- Wide range of finishes. The decorative box in which the air duct is placed can be pasted over with washable wallpaper, decorated with mosaics, tiles or texture.
- Profitability. The cost of materials is not too high, besides, if you assemble the box yourself, you will not need to plan the costs for the work of the master.
When choosing materials for finishing a decorative box made of gypsum plasterboard, one should take into account the peculiarities of its operation. For the box to last longer, the finishing material must be resistant to chemical attack and moisture.
Decorative box made of wood
If you want to fit the exhaust duct as naturally as possible, allocate a separate cabinet for it. The best option in order to hide the structural elements of the exhaust system is a rectangular box, as part of a kitchen set. Furniture for the kitchen is made taking into account the peculiarities of its operation, so the box, which is part of the kitchen set, will meet all the requirements.
If the ventilation opening is at a certain distance from the hood, the corrugation can be used as a flexible design element..
Corrugated ducts can look attractive when properly secured and creatively designed..
Alternatively, the corrugation can be painted to match the ceiling or walls. If the exhaust system is purchased at the same time with all the accessories, you can purchase a hood and a pipe made in the same style, and then there will be no need to hide something..
How to install an exhaust duct with your own hands (video)
The need to install an exhaust duct, like its type, is determined when drawing up a kitchen project design. In some kitchens, it can be flexible or rectangular and be a part of the kitchen set, in which all the details that are inadmissible to the eye are cleverly hidden, and in some it is a whole structure that can be made of plastic, drywall or metal. The main selection criterion is that the duct is in harmony with the overall design style..
Hood box in the kitchen (photo)