A staircase with run-in steps fits well into any interior, regardless of its style. When equipping a staircase in our home, we strive to make it beautiful and comfortable. It is these requirements that make us consider a lot of existing staircase options, and choose a more suitable modification for ourselves. With winder steps – one of the options for unusual original stairs.
What are the staircases
Among other options for stairs connecting the floors of a house, they are very popular with winders..
Winder stairs are a variant of ladders that have more than one run, but they are connected not by a platform, but by winder steps.
Passing stairs can vary in shape, material, price and design
Winder steps, these are steps that are located between the flights of the stairs, connecting them to each other, and look like steps with different tread widths on each side – at the axis of the stairs, these treads practically disappear, but to the other edge they increase significantly.
Existing winder options:
- L-shaped cross-country stairs;
- U-shaped staircases;
- Rotary winder staircase;
- Spiral staircases.
Passing stairs can also be called small 3-4 steps of stairs in a garden or park, the width of the tread of the steps is different on the sides, but we will not talk about them today.
Winder staircase: design advantages and disadvantages
Winder stairs cannot be called know-how in the world of room design, but still, with winder steps, stairs are not used very often..
The winder staircase differs from other staircases in design, has an aesthetic and unusual appearance, and saves space in the room..
But with all its positive qualities, the staircase has a lot of disadvantages with the steps..
Among the advantages of winding ladders, it is worth noting a long service life, practicality and reliability.
The main disadvantages with the steps of the winder stairs:
- It’s hard to climb them. Zabeznye steps practically exclude the site, and the staircase turns into one continuous march.
- For the same reason, such stairs are not suitable for homes with elderly or elderly family members..
- They are dangerous for use in rooms where there are small children – the runways have different tread widths, which are practically absent at the base. This increases the risk of injury when climbing such stairs..
- Passing stairs are not recommended for use if the building is more than 2 storeys high;
Passing stairs must be equipped with strong and reliable steps;
L-shaped ladder: applications
In the design skill, stairs are used not only as a structure for moving to the second floor, but also as a design element that gives a room or an object a majestic and sophisticated look.
The ladder is L-shaped, this is a design that is very often used at this time. It is not too difficult to manufacture, requires the least space, and can be of the most varied configuration..
L-shaped staircase looks good in country houses and cottages
Currently, L-shaped stairs are eagerly used not only in residential buildings, but also in public premises..
Scope of L-shaped stairs:
- Private residential buildings;
- The shops;
- Office buildings;
- A cafe;
- Educational institutions;
In addition, L-shaped staircase structures are widely used in buildings and institutions of social facilities..
L-shaped staircase to the second floor: design features
L-shaped stairs are very often used in rooms with a small area and a small height of the first floor. These are mainly wall ladders, which are located against the wall and provide a person with vertical movement.
The L-shaped staircase to the second floor consists of two, connected between the flights, by themselves run-in steps. The height of such a staircase depends on the height of the room..
The name of the staircase comes from the letter “G”, to which the staircase is very similar in its appearance.
The L-shaped ladder, equipped with a metal frame, is highly reliable
What can be used to make L-shaped stairs with run-in steps to the second floor:
- The most common type is wooden stairs;
- Wooden structures can be combined, and partly consist of metal or concrete;
- There are also L-shaped stairs, made only of metal structures;
- There are also concrete stairs with metal and wooden handrails..
Sometimes you can find stairs made of stone, plastic and other building materials..
How to make a drawing of a staircase with winders
The L-shaped staircase is also called a 90 ° swivel staircase. This name comes from the fact that ascending it, a person turns 90 degrees.
L-shaped staircase is a simple structure that can be designed independently.
In order to make a drawing of the stairs, which is necessary for your house, you need to measure some parameters and draw up a drawing for them correctly..
A drawing of a staircase with winder steps can be made on a computer using special programs
The parameters that are needed to calculate the L-shaped staircase:
- H – height. Distance from the floor on the lower floor to the floor on the floor above.
- h – height. Ground floor distance to ceiling.
- L is the length of the opening;
- S is the width of the same opening;
- L max – the largest possible length of the ladder;
- L limit – the length of the railings on the top floor.
By these parameters, you will independently figure out how to draw an L-shaped staircase. But it is better to turn to qualified specialists who will help you make a drawing and carry out work on the construction of the stairs. In addition, you will be shown what other types of stairs exist..
Winning staircase with 180 ° turn: drawing and dimensions
Undoubtedly, swivel stairs, which have a flat, wide area between flights, are convenient and practical. But there is not always enough height in the room to build a two-flight staircase with a platform. The site itself requires space, and it is often very small.
A winder staircase with a 180 ° turn is an excellent way out in such a situation when there is no space for the equipment of the site. In this case, both steps of the staircase are connected to each other by the run-in steps..
A staircase with a turn of 180 degrees allows you to lower and raise large objects to the second floor
If for some reason you do not want to contact specialists for the manufacture of stairs, then you can try to make it yourself. To do this, it is necessary to correctly measure, calculate the parameters of the future staircase and draw up a drawing.
Elements required for the construction of a swing-in staircase:
- The base of the staircase is the supporting structure. It’s called kosour. If the staircase is wooden, then the kosour will consist of 4-6 sections. Metal stringers can be solid;
- Kosour is attached to the central post;
- The length of the post depends on the height of the ladder;
- The cross section of the column (cross section) must be at least 100×100;
- A double-flight winder staircase will have 3 types of steps: straight and run-in. You need to correctly calculate their number and width..
- Balusters for stairs are best purchased ready-made. Even if you are a skilled craftsman, it will take you a very long time to make aesthetically beautiful balusters..
Draw the stairs on paper in the form in which you would like to see it and proceed with the calculations. But keep in mind, if your staircase has three flights, then the run-in steps can be used only once. In the second section, marches should be connected only by a platform.
U-shaped staircase with winder steps: where and how it is used
Another option for a rotary staircase is the U-shaped staircase. These are the standard stairs that we used to walk in kindergarten, school, and in hospitals..
U-shaped staircase with winder steps is a variant of the staircase, which is also used in the case when there is not enough height to install a U-shaped staircase with a platform between marches.
A wooden U-shaped staircase with run-in steps without railings fits well into an interior made in modern, minimalism or hi-tech style
At the U-shaped stairs, as well as at the L-shaped marches, they are connected by running steps. The difference is only in the degree of turn of the stairs and the number of winder steps.
What can be used to build u-shaped staircases with run-in steps:
- Concrete. This is the most common version of U-shaped stairs;
- Made of wood. Wooden corner stairs are the easiest to manufacture and are readily used in residential premises;
- Made of metal. Metal structures are original and practical, but in practice they are not often used. Mainly as outdoor stairs in public areas.
You can often find a combined version of U-shaped winders.
External L-shaped staircase with run-in steps: its scope
The main condition for outdoor stairs is that they must be made of wear-resistant, durable and safe material. It is advisable to make beveled corners at external stairs, they look more aesthetically pleasing.
An L-shaped staircase with run-in steps, whether it is external or internal, is one of the most dangerous types of stairs. Therefore, you need to use them extremely carefully, and it is advisable not to build them yourself..
The external L-shaped ladder is recommended to be made of stainless steel
The installation of such a staircase is not difficult, but in order to correctly carry out the design and installation stages, it is better to use the services of professionals who already have ready-made staircase projects.
Where external L-shaped stairs are used:
- In residential buildings for access to the terrace;
- For climbing the balcony of the 2nd floor of a private house;
- Like a fire escape;
- When arranging parks, squares;
- In public buildings.
External L-shaped stairs are predominantly metal.
Assembling a staircase with winder steps with your own hands (video)
Winder-type vertical lifting mechanisms are of various types and types. Choose a staircase for your home responsibly and thoughtfully.
Winder staircase design (photo examples)