When kitchen furniture has become dilapidated or simply no longer liked, do not rush to buy a new one, because, most likely, you can update it yourself. All you need for this is a couple of free hours or days, a thoughtful rework idea, some money and one of our instructions.
See also: 4 super-ways to transform a chair and stool with your own hands
Method 1. Painting the kitchen with chalk paint
Do you want to update your kitchen set beyond recognition with your own hands? The best way to do this is to repaint the facades with chalk (mineral) paint. Why chalk?
- The fact is that this type of paint has a thicker consistency and increased adhesive properties, due to which it fits perfectly on any surface – even on laminated chipboard / MDF. Moreover, chalk paints make it possible to do without tedious sanding, and sometimes even without a primer..
Chalk paints are also good in that they give the painted surface a texture similar to that obtained when painting a wooden surface. Therefore, even the most ordinary kitchen with film facades after such an “update” will look much more noble.
- In Russia and the CIS countries, you can buy chalk paints from designer Daria Geiler, foreign manufacturer Annie Sloan, Kazakhstan Vernenskaya Manufactura, etc. You can also make chalk paints with your own hands according to recipes that are easy to find on the Web.
Here are some photo examples of kitchens before and after restoration..
Photo of a kitchen with film facades before and after painting with Daria Geiler’s paint. Here, the author of the alteration restored the peeled film on the facade near the stove, and then painted the furniture without removing or sanding the film.
Old kitchen with veneer fronts before and after painting with Annie Sloan paint. By the way, in this kitchen, even the tiled floor was painted with chalk paint, and the patterns on it were painted using a homemade stencil
- Kitchen before rework
- Kitchen after staining
Inspired? Then it’s time for a master class.
To paint your kitchen you will need:
- Primer (special for chalk paints or alkyd if the furniture was painted with oil stain);
- Chalk paints (preferably with a 10% margin);
- Matt moisture resistant varnish (acrylic or polyurethane).
- The consumption of materials is calculated following the recommendations of the manufacturers. It is especially important to correctly calculate the paint consumption. If it is not enough, you will have to finish painting the remaining areas with paint from another batch, which, due to the peculiarities of production, will slightly differ in tone..
- Which varnish is better – polyurethane or acrylic? In order for the kitchen coating to withstand extreme loads, it is safer to use polyurethane varnish. However, if you rarely cook and have no pets, acrylic varnish is perfect, especially since it dries faster, does not have a strong odor and is cheaper..
- Brushes: two synthetic brushes for primer and varnish, as well as one natural or synthetic brush about 4 cm wide (a natural brush gives a more pronounced texture);
- Degreaser such as White Spirit;
- Sandpaper with a grain of 100-180 microns;
- Film and masking tape (to protect non-painted parts);
How to paint a kitchen set:
Step 1. Preparation
First you need to remove the handles from the facades. The floor, walls, apron, countertop, glass inserts, fittings and other surfaces that you do not want to paint must be covered with foil and masking tape. Next, clean all parts from grease (preferably with a degreaser), stains and dust.
- Do you need to remove facades? It is not necessary to do this, but it is more convenient to paint this way..
Step 2. Primer and / or sanding
It is not necessary to sand the old paintwork, film or lamination, but it is necessary to treat it with a primer in 2 layers. In this case, each layer of the primer must be allowed to dry, and then the primed surfaces must be treated with sandpaper in order to level the coating and enhance the adhesion of the paint..
- However, if the lamination has a strong gloss, then it is advisable to remove its upper shiny layer with fine-grained sandpaper – this will make the coating even stronger.
- If you are not too demanding on the result (for example, if the kitchen is temporary, very old or free), then you can do without a primer. All you need to do is: wash the fronts from grease, then paint them in 2-3 layers and finally cover with 1 layer of varnish.
- Do you want to achieve the most even and durable coverage? Then it is worth sanding the surface after each layer of primer, paint and varnish (except for finishing layers).
- Before starting work, test the paint on any object.
- If you want to save money, paint only the facades and visible parts of the frame, and the inner walls and shelves of the cabinets can be painted cheaper or left unchanged..
Step 3. Coloring
As soon as the primer is dry, proceed to paint in 2-3 coats, letting each coat dry completely (one coat of chalk paint dries in only about 30 minutes).
- It may take 5-6 coats to cover a dark coating with white paint..
Step 4. Varnish treatment
When the finishing layer of paint is dry, you can start applying varnish in 2-3 thin (!) Layers with a synthetic brush (not used). In this case, it is advisable to let each layer dry completely for about 24 hours..
Step 5. Finally, we return the fittings and facades to their places..
Voila, the old kitchen is as good as new!
- Kitchen before staining
- Kitchen after staining
Method 2. Pasting the facades with self-adhesive film
The fastest, cheapest and easiest way to restore kitchen furniture is to decorate its surfaces with self-adhesive film (self-adhesive wallpaper). Unlike staining, gluing the film is also good in that it allows you to return the look of the kitchen to its original state after a while. For those who live in a rented apartment or just love change, this way of updating the kitchen will help out with a bang.
- The service life of the furniture covered with film will be 2-3 years in good condition.
- Most of all, this method of alteration is suitable for kitchens with solid facades without panels and embossed details..
Below are photos of kitchens before and after restoration with foil.
You can only partially glue the kitchen with foil. For example, one of the tiers, the back of the headset, plinth or panels. Examples of such a kitchen rework are presented in the following selection of photos.
If the facades of your headset have glass inserts, then you can decorate only the back walls of the cabinets with foil..
You can cut patterns and designs from vinyl “self-adhesive”.
By the way, the foil can be used to update the apron, table top, headset or table and equipment.
Island tabletop in foil
If the refrigerator is not built into the set and does not fit into the interior of the kitchen, just glue it and the furniture facades with a film of the same tone
To remodel the kitchen, you will need:
- Vinyl self-adhesive paper (with a margin);
- Sharp scissors and a dummy knife;
- Ruler and centimeter;
- Squeegee for smoothing with hard and soft sides;
- Lint-free rags.
How to glue the kitchen with self-adhesive tape with your own hands:
Step 1. Using a screwdriver, remove the handles from the facades, if you wish, you can remove the facades themselves – this will make it more convenient to paste over them.
Step 2. Wipe all surfaces including the ends (!) Clean and dry, especially paying attention to the fatty deposits – it is better to remove it with a degreaser.
Step 3. We begin to glue the film. Remove part of the backing from the film and attach the canvas to the facade, leaving 3-5 cm free on top and on the side – later we will wrap these excess on the edges. Take a squeegee and start smoothing the film, expelling bubbles, gradually going down and peeling off the backing. Movements should be smooth and slow. Having reached the lower edge of the facade, step back 3-5 centimeters from it and cut the canvas.
- If you wish, you can pre-cut the canvas to the size of the facade with an allowance of 2.5-3 cm (for facades of standard thickness).
- The film sets completely only after a few hours, so do not be afraid to make a mistake – all flaws are fixable.
- If small bubbles remain on the film, they can be carefully pierced with a thin needle and smoothed again..
- Available in 2 colors for stylish contrast: light top – dark bottom.
Step 4. Now that the facade is almost completely pasted over with a film, we will deal with the edges and corners:
- First, cut the corner piece of the loose film at 45 degrees as shown in the photo below. Thus, you will have two “wings” along the two edges of the facade..
- Now carefully fold the free edge of the film over one of the edges and smooth it. Next, wrap the remaining corner on the adjacent edge of the facade as shown in the following photo, and cut off the excess.
- In the same way, frame the second edge with a film, but this time cut the corner at a right angle..
- Finally, smooth the seams tightly and repeat the process on the rest of the corners..
Step 6. Use the described method to glue all the front parts of the headset, visible parts of the frame and the base with foil. If desired, vinyl can be used to decorate the shelves and inner walls of the cabinets. However, this is not at all necessary..
Step 7. At the last stage, return the facades to their place, if you removed them, as well as the handles, making holes in the right places with a knife or awl.
Also, a visual master class on how to glue the kitchen with self-adhesive film can be seen in this video.
Method 3. Decoupage kitchen
Hand painting is very beautiful, but difficult or expensive. But even a beginner can decorate boring facades of a headset or hide local damage (scratches, chips, stains, etc.) with drawings created using decoupage technique. At the same time, the result is guaranteed to be excellent! We suggest you find ideas for decoupage kitchen in the following selection of photos.
Shabby chic kitchen decoupage
Decoupage kitchen in Provence style
Decoupage will help to decorate not only the facades of the headset, but also other kitchen furniture and even appliances..
To work you will need:
- Three-layer napkins with a pattern or decoupage cards;
- 2-3 flat squirrel brushes (for applying glue and drawing on glue, as well as varnish);
- PVA glue;
- Acrylic varnish (matte, glossy or with craquelure effect).
- Decoupage cards are more suitable for do-it-yourself kitchen decoupage, rather than napkins – the drawings on them are ideally combined with each other and can be large in size.
- The main thing in reworking furniture using decoupage technique is the correct choice of patterns. They should fit into the interior of the kitchen in color and style..
How to transform a kitchen using decoupage technique:
Step 1. First you need to degrease the selected area with alcohol or degreaser.
Step 2. Carefully separate the patterned layer from the napkin, then cut out the desired print from it. At this stage, the drawing can be “tried on” on the facade and at the same time make a note where it should be located.
Step 3. Now we grease the back of the cut-out pattern with PVA glue and apply it to the facade in the right place. Next, gently smooth out the napkin with a brush, moving it from the center to the edges, and blot the excess glue and remove with a slightly damp cloth.
Step 4. In the same way, glue all the remaining napkins.
Step 5. If desired, the decoupage of the kitchen can be finished by hand painting. When the glue and paints are dry, the drawing can be sealed with acrylic or polyurethane varnish in 2-3 layers (we let the drawing dry completely between the layers).
Some more useful information
- Want to turn minimalistic kitchen with solid facades in classic? This is possible if you glue moldings or carved parts on them, and then paint them according to our instructions..
Also, before painting the headset, the hanging cabinets can be supplemented with curly brackets (they can be bought ready-made or cut out by yourself), and the base with baluster legs.
- For the best result, it is worthwhile to approach the “update” of the kitchen comprehensively and, if necessary, change not only the color of the facades, but also countertop with apron, curtains, dining table and chairs.
- Sometimes the thirst for change can only be satisfied by replacing / painting furniture handles..
- Of course, before painting the kitchen or pasting it with vinyl, it must be repaired: tighten / change the fittings, glue and iron the peeled film a little with an iron, polish the scratches, and fill chips, cracks and holes from furniture handles with furniture putty.