The kitchen-living room is simply created for large companies and parties The living room is the central room in the apartment, which attracts special attention, and many spend most of their time in the kitchen. Many people need to combine these two premises in order to make it more convenient to organize holidays, receive guests and add a little space to the cramped Khrushchev apartment. The kitchen-living room makes it possible to get a unique interior design, but creating it even on a large area is not so easy, let alone a small one.
For modern apartments, a kitchen and a living room connected into one room are not uncommon. Such a merger has many advantages, the main of which, of course, is the increase in space. It turns out such a studio in a house where there are not separate rooms, but zones in one room. The project is either drawn up by specialists, or their own ideas are the basis of such an association. Sometimes even the hallway is involved in such a combination..
How to connect the kitchen to the living room
So, if the owners of small-sized apartments in Khrushchev are simply trying to somehow save extra meters and “give air” to their home, then the owners of modern apartments with a new layout want a studio-type design in their home. In both cases, the kitchen area is connected to the living area. This will not work without the approval of the relevant authorities..
In any case, before repairing, keep in mind:
- Demolition of the wall or most of it is possible only if the wall is not load-bearing;
- Combining rooms is possible, if you have an electric stove in your house, if you have a gas stove, it is impossible to connect rooms, a partition or sliding doors between rooms is another matter;
- Radical permutation is also impossible, the so-called “wet zone” cannot migrate to another part of the apartment, this is prohibited by regulations.
The stove and sink, in any case, must remain within the boundaries of the zone where the initial project suggested they were located..
For the most successful design, we recommend using the same style in both rooms.
There are two options to connect rooms. Both are in demand today, but each needs a separate project, again, coordinated with certain authorities.
Ways to combine rooms:
- The first way. Demolition of the wall completely. The result is a single space in the full sense of the word. Most often, in this case, the laying of the kitchen door occurs, from which the hallway begins, more precisely, the exit to the hallway. At the same time, a free niche is formed, where the refrigerator is often placed. Naturally, you can only get to the kitchen area through the hall..
- Second way. The wall is partially demolished, a wide opening is made, delimiting the two zones.
The second method involves special attention to an important detail of the interior of the combined space – the partition. Its design can become the link that will unite two zones with one style..
Connecting the kitchen and living room: designer tips (video)
Features of the design of the kitchen-living room
Today, this design technique is very popular, as it allows you to visually expand the area of a small kitchen in a small apartment. But it is used not only in Khrushchev houses, but also in spacious cottages, large studio apartments and lofts. For some dwellings, a kitchen combined with a living room solves the problem of expanding the area, and for others – reducing the number of partitions and, accordingly, saving on building materials.
The kitchen, combined with the living room, can be divided into zones, or it can be a single space If you do not like large rooms, divide the kitchen into zones, separating directly the kitchen itself, the dining room and the recreation area
If the apartment has a fairly spacious living room and an unusually small kitchen, then by moving the wall, you can increase the kitchen area at the expense of the second room. Thus, you will get an additional living room due to the reduced space and fulfill the dream of a combined kitchen-living room..
Features of the layout of a small kitchen-living room
Before breaking down the walls, you should decide for yourself whether it is worth changing the layout of the apartment, because any redevelopment must be coordinated with the Housing Inspectorate, which may not always approve this or that decision. If we turn to the architects, then they deal with all the formal issues. If a decision is made to do the redevelopment with your own hands, before starting work, you will have to bypass many offices.
The bar counter, as a rule, is a separator between two rooms.
The redevelopment of the living room, combined with the kitchen, has a number of features that must be taken into account:
- Minimum amount of furniture – more space. If this room is not planned to be used to store all supplies, it is worth abandoning massive pedestals and cabinets, using a minimum of furnishings.
- Built-in appliances – saving useful space. Free-standing equipment will take up more space anyway and create a cluttered effect. If you correctly select compact models of built-in kitchen equipment, you can make the kitchen compact, and at the same time as convenient and ergonomic as possible..
- Room height – the main ally in the rational use of the area. If you install all the necessary furniture vertically, using this area to the maximum and completely filling the entire space from floor to ceiling with the necessary furniture and appliances, you can not only free up more square meters, but also give the kitchen a modern style. When planning a kitchen set “in height”, do not forget about convenience, placing in free access what is most often used.
Kitchen-living room will be the ideal solution for a private house Such a kitchen will be most preferable in small apartments.
In order to choose the design that best suits your kitchen-living room, you should carefully study all available sources and do not rush to conclusions..
Kitchen combined with the living room: planning and zoning ideas (video)
Living room and kitchen design: zoning
No designer will tell you a universal zoning method. One project will be different from another, because the layout of the rooms, their size, and features are different. Much depends on how things are with the windows – what they are, how you decorate them, whether it is the same style, etc. Whether the entrance hallway is affected by such a connection, will the hallway and its design concept influence the design of a small studio in the house.
The living room combined with the kitchen should have at least three functional areas that require a separate area:
- Work zone or a cooking area. It contains a kitchen set, a hob or stove, a sink, as well as the necessary household appliances.
- Rest zone with a sofa, coffee table and TV is also a place for receiving guests.
- Dinner Zone. It houses a full dining table with chairs, serving for meals and organizing feast events..
The advantages of a studio kitchen are obvious: a lot "air" and convenience in everyday life In such a kitchen, you can, for example, dine at the bar and watch TV.
Zones of the studio kitchen can be separated by sliding wooden walls, combining spaces or dividing it into 2 different rooms
If in spacious rooms it is rather difficult to separate the working area from the recreation and eating areas, then in small kitchen-studios it is even more difficult to do this, but still there are several techniques that allow you to visually separate the living room and kitchen:
- Combination of two types of flooring. More moisture resistant ones are placed in the kitchen area, and parquet, laminate or cork are used in the hall. And the distinction between these two can be radial – today such a design idea is in vogue..
- Multilevel ceiling. Somewhere above, somewhere below – but where, decide for yourself. A similar project involves the use of multi-level structures, stretch ceilings. Different lighting can complement the effect of such a distinction: in the dining area it is more point-like, in the hall it is soft.
- Bar counter. It is worth considering this good old option. A full-fledged bar counter in a small kitchen will take up too much space, and a small folding structure, combined with a windowsill, will serve as a kind of markup between the combined rooms and at the same time a tea table. It almost always fits into the interior, it can be located between two windows. The bar counter can be small, or it can be presented as a dining room part of the room. Even if such a studio turned out to be small, then the bar counter will replace the kitchen table..
- Kitchen peninsula or island. This is not an option for a small apartment, but if the size and the interior are available, this option is definitely worth considering. The island is used by two sides – from the side of the dining room and from the side of the living room. The idea is also good because the island is located between two windows, which looks harmonious and symmetrical – the interior almost always benefits from this..
- Dinner table. The table is the centerpiece of both the kitchen and the living room. If you put a round folding dining table in the center of a small room, which, if necessary, can be made compact and moved to the wall, it can become a smooth transition from one zone to another and will look harmonious.
- A big sofa. And this design idea is as old as the world, but good and versatile. In a house in the West, you will not surprise anyone with such an option, and a neat corner modular sofa will be a salvation for our small apartments. This distinction between the two zones will be a cozy visual boundary between the spaces..
- Arch or semi-arch. If you make a small partition in the form of a semi-arch or an arch between the kitchen area and the recreation area (important for a narrow room), this will not only visually divide the room, but also refine its design.
- Screen can be a great opportunity to “hide” the kitchen during the reception of guests, this is especially convenient because there is not always time to bring the kitchen into a proper form when guests are on the doorstep.
- Small shelving unit with shelves will never be superfluous in a multifunctional room. It can be decorated with decorative utensils, houseplants or an aquarium, which will be fully visible from both sides..
- Sofa. Separating zones with a sofa is not always convenient for a small room, as it will be an obstacle and make the room cluttered.
Kitchen-studio requires redevelopment, but the result is worth it
These are, of course, not all ideas. In some cases, the delimiter can be an attribute of the dining room – a large dining table. Not the best option for a square kitchen, but quite acceptable for a rectangular one..
Any transformable furniture will become very relevant in the combined kitchen-living room.
Combine kitchen and living room: partition
A low partition is a modern room zoning project that can be made into a separate, pretty piece of furniture. Such a partition between two zones can include decorative niches, various shelves, and other structures that can be used to decorate the space. Sometimes a false fireplace is inserted into such a partition. Sometimes a flat aquarium is placed in it. And if the partition is strong, you can hang a TV on it – a good solution for modern apartments..
Another option for such an interior is a narrow glass partition. It consists of glass blocks and transmits light. Often such a partition is installed by those owners who are unhappy with the windows in the apartment, or rather, their location. And a partition made of glass blocks is a way to give more light to the space..
The partition in the dining area can be decorated accordingly. That is, for example, it is decorated with various attributes of cooking, home.
Custom kitchens will be ideal for creating a studio kitchen
If earlier these were two scattered rooms, now your goal is a project of merging zones, which, although they should be delimited by something, their design should be virtually the same.
Kitchens connected to the living room: interior fusion tricks
Modern apartments have more opportunities for this, but small apartments also have every chance of such a merger..
How to connect the interior of two zones:
- Experimenting with windows. Of course, a single window decor is an excellent way out of the situation. Above the windows, you can hang, if not the same, then similar curtains. Countertops are also decorated in the same style, many today prefer to decorate countertops under the windows with a delicate fur blanket. Cozy and beautiful. And above two windows, you can make the same recessed lighting. Such a design, lighting over the windows will be an element of repetition that unites the kitchen and living room..
- Textile. It can be repeated both in the dining area and in the hall. For today’s apartments, textiles are a self-sufficient interior element. For example, in the dining room, tablecloths and chair covers are square. And the same square-shaped pillow in the hall, everything is made of the same fabric, or the same ornament is repeated in the dining room and in the hall..
- Another idea is the color scheme.. If you have already decided to take pastel colors as a basis, then they should be in one part of the combined space, and in another. Choose color accents very carefully, there is a risk that they will look just bloody spots.
A combined kitchen-living room in small apartments will allow you to use every centimeter rationally
If in the kitchen area you decide to give preference to square furniture, then let the Chinese square table find a place in the hall. Such an interior roll call is only for the benefit of the connected space..
Kitchen-living room: advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of a combined kitchen-living room include:
- Visual increase in space.
- Increasing natural light sources.
- The process of organizing holidays with feasts is simplified, since everything you need is at hand.
- The emergence of a full-fledged dining area.
- The ability to create a functional and unique room design.
- The appearance of an additional living room in the apartment.
As in any redevelopment, the living room combined with the kitchen has its drawbacks:
- Dispersion of the smell from the food being cooked into the living room.
- Increased contamination of the premises and, as a result, high requirements for its cleaning.
- The appearance of sounds from the work of kitchen appliances in the living room.
Kitchen-living room design (video)
For modern apartments, the fusion of a living room and a kitchen is a way to modernize the space and make it more convenient. A combined kitchen-living room is a great option to expand the kitchen area and equip an additional living room in a small apartment. If the area of the apartment allows, you can leave these rooms separate, making them adjacent, separating them with a wide doorway or arch and providing an accordion door. And although such a merger has its drawbacks, one significant advantage can outweigh them – this is the fact that the household, like it or not, will spend more time together. And this is already an important thing for cementing family ties..
Living room kitchen design (photo)