The apron is still new, so do not miss the chance to become original.In the kitchen there is an area that gets dirty the most. This is a working wall that assumes the inevitable costs of cooking: splashes of grease, moisture, temperature drops, etc. Therefore, she needs special protection. A mirror backsplash for a kitchen made of tempered glass or skinned is often used today instead of outdated tiles or artificial stone. This decorative coating, which perfectly fits into the kitchen interior, can also be made of plexiglass. There are a variety of ready-made drawings of such a coating, or you can come up with your own version, while making your fantasy a reality with your own hands.
Advantages and disadvantages
An apron has been stripped off in your kitchen – it’s something incredible! In addition to highlighting the apron itself, you can supplement it with illumination of the upper cabinets from the inside.
Tempered glass with a bright and varied impression instead of traditional tiles was recommended to the domestic consumer relatively recently, but the skinned technology quickly became popular. The following circumstances testify to its advantages:
- the individuality of such a kitchen apron, when it can be made according to your own project, implementing any design idea;
- it takes a little time to install it, a kitchen apron can even be installed with your own hands;
- not very high price. A tempered glass kitchen apron does not cost more than tiles;
- harmony and democracy in combination with any kitchen accessory or various furniture;
- durability. An apron made of plexiglass or tempered glass will last two decades;
- tempered glass is not afraid of physical damage;
- even luxurious lamps look organically in the decor of the skinned, such a neighborhood only emphasizes their dignity.
Autumn mood combined with natural wood – a chic and unique combination
Unfortunately, modern material has some drawbacks, tangible during its installation and use:
- Tempered glass must not be cut or drilled again. When installing it with your own hands, you need to make all measurements as accurately as possible, so the kitchen apron is installed last, and any reconstruction is associated with significant costs;
- the cost of work directly depends on the number of holes required for mounting the tiles;
- a poorly executed installation leads to the appearance of condensation, the appearance of cracks, which cannot be overlooked on the transparent surfaces of the skin;
- large kitchen sizes require the joining of several sheets of plexiglass;
- skinny does not require time-consuming care, but it must be washed often, using mild products.
From all of the above, it follows that a modern apron for the kitchen – skinned – with proper do-it-yourself installation and operation has no equal. However, he requires scrupulous attention to himself..
Dimensions for skinny
The atmosphere and perception of kitchen design directly depends on the pattern on the apron If you want the best 3D effect, we recommend using close-up images
The removal of the required dimensions for the manufacture of skinals is carried out after placing the furniture, because altering anything after installing such a glass apron will be a big problem.
Unlike plexiglass, tempered glass is difficult to cut or drill..
When making skins according to your own sketch, you should first carefully mark all the prospective holes for sockets.
The necessary parameters for making a do-it-yourself kitchen apron are shown in the following table:
Height from floor to apron
|A standard tabletop has a height of 85 cm, if there is a built-in washing machine, then its height is 90-91 cm.An allowance should be added to it associated with unevenness of the floor and the depth of the edge of the apron behind the table.|
|Normal – 55-65 cm. Can be selected individually. It is necessary to take into account the depth of entry behind the countertop and, with a complex composition, select according to the picture.|
|Apron width||The length of the work table together with the width of the sink and hood.|
Dimensions under the hood
|The standard height is 70-75 cm. The width can be 50-60 cm or 90 cm. 5-10 cm are added to the width – on the sides.|
The advantages of different materials
A similar kitchen apron fits perfectly into the concept of an African-style kitchen.
There are many different types of glass panels. Here are some of them using these types of glass:
- Matt. Opaque, made by sandblasting, the surface well masks various small irregularities, dirt and deposits, very practical.
- Transparent. It is often used to protect wallpaper or painted surfaces, reliably protecting them from dirt. It is better not to use on uneven walls.
- Painted. Painted glass looks elegant and expensive. High-quality paints are not washed off during operation.
- With photo printing. Has excellent quality and color rendering capabilities.
- Colored. A bright and original combination of different colors creates a stained glass effect.
- Mirrored. These tiles are good for use in small kitchens, because in combination with metal, even small pieces of glass create the illusion of an increase in size and look very impressive.
- Backlit panels. Invisible lights create an even light, further illuminating the kitchen. Various color solutions and options for creating color pictures are possible, akin to color music. And if you also assemble it with your own hands, then it will give the household a special pleasure..
It is not so easy to install an apron for an unprepared person. Plus, the work requires special tools, in particular suction cups.
Consider the sequence of creating one of the most difficult skinned options – a do-it-yourself backlit panel:
- Disassembly of sockets and output of all wires.
- Using dowels and self-tapping screws, two strips (40 x 20 mm) are attached to hold the decorative panel.
- A small gap is left above the top bar for the wires.
- In the foil for lighting, you need to cut holes for the wires, and then glue it with a few strips of double-sided tape, then “sew” on top and bottom with strips
- Decorative tiles are glued to the wall by passing electrical leads through them.
- Two guide wooden strips are attached to the wall with self-tapping screws, the lower one – it is better to attach using colorless silicone for tightness.
- Sanding is used to accurately align the worktop with the panel.
- Sockets are fixed in pre-provided holes.
- Panel installation starts from the right side of the wall, screwing its parts onto aluminum profiles.
- Near the sink, the panel is placed on the bottom of the silicone for airtightness.
- At the corner joint, the aluminum profile is placed at an angle of 45 degrees to fix both parts of the panel.
- The wiring cabinet is located under the sink.
- If there is a gap between the top of the panel and the wall cabinets, a decorative strip is glued to it
Glass kitchen aprons are a beautiful and convenient design solution for any kitchen. Hand-made, such tiles make it possible to create any colorful image above the table, give special comfort and uniqueness to this corner of the apartment, which is often visited by all households, and positively charge them every day..
How to install a glass apron with your own hands (video)
We recommend watching this video, in which you will see the installation of a backlit glass apron. The result is simply overwhelming.!
Skinali for the kitchen (photo)