- In the season of fresh herbs, one cannot but recall such an old and kind filling for pies, like an onion and an egg Cooking time: 120 min;
- Servings: 40;
- Kcal: 250;
- Proteins / Fats / Carbohydrates: 25 g / 15 g / 20 g.
Pies are made in all regions of the country, which makes it possible to assert that they are one of the most recognizable dishes of Russian cuisine. It is worth noting that pies can be started with almost any filling, including onions..
Unique recipe: green onion pies
Quite often, pies are stuffed with sweet fillings or meat / cabbage / potatoes. Less common fillings include onions. Moreover, pies with green onions can start as one onion, but most often it is mixed with an egg and other types of fillings..
Dill or sorrel can be added to onions to taste.
Pies with onions have a number of advantages, among which it is worth highlighting the low cost of cooking, high content of vitamins and other nutrients and ease of preparation..
Quite often, pies with green onions (recipes are given below) are prepared with a number of other fillings – with boiled eggs or with cottage cheese. It is these products that perfectly complement the onion with their taste. In this case, it is possible to prepare both fried and baked pies. Let’s consider the preparation of the latter in more detail.
To prepare the base – the dough – you will need the following products:
- Dry yeast – 1 sachet (7.5-12.5 grams);
- Chicken egg – 3 pcs;
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon;
- Sour cream – 0.5 liters;
- Flour – 1 kg;
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
- Milk – 100 ml;
- Salt – 1 teaspoon.
To prepare the filling you will need:
- Green onions – 7-10 large bunches;
- Optionally, you can add chicken eggs (10 pcs) or cottage cheese (0.5 kg);
- Salt, spices – to taste.
Making a dough for pies with green onions
Here is a step-by-step recipe for making pies with green onions.
You should start with the test:
- The milk is heated over low heat to 50 degrees. Yeast is added there and set aside to infuse for about 10-30 minutes (until foam forms).
- Beat eggs with sugar and salt in a separate container. Milk with yeast is added to the beaten eggs.
- Flour is gradually added to the resulting mixture, simultaneously kneading the dough. This way, no lumps of flour should form, and the dough should become homogeneous. The resulting dough is set aside, covered with a warm, damp cloth and allowed to rise. After the first rise, the dough is kneaded and set aside again for the second rise..
- After that, the filling for the pies is prepared. Hard-boiled eggs are boiled (if present) or cottage cheese is finely choked. Next, the onion is washed under the tap and finely chopped. After that, it is placed in a hot skillet where it is fried for about 1 minute (without oil) – this will allow the greens to settle. Sorrel or dill can be added to onions – to taste. Then the onion is mixed with other ingredients, salt and spices are added. Thus, you can prepare pies with cottage cheese and green onions, eggs and onions, and just with onions..
- The dough is removed from the dishes, divided into 40 equal parts, after which the individual parts are rolled out in the form of pancakes. Then they put the filling on them – about 2.5-3 tablespoons per 1 “pancake” and wrap in the shape of a pie.
- The pies are allowed to infuse for about 15 minutes, at which time the oven heats up to 200 degrees. Next, the pies are coated with an egg and sent to the oven for 15-20 minutes – until a blush appears.
Pies with onions can not only be baked in the oven, but also fried in a pan
When the question of how to cook pies with green onions is considered in detail, there should be no doubt about the simplicity of the recipe. It is worth noting that the dough for fried pies with onions is also prepared, with the exception of the way the pie is formed – the seam is made not from above, but from the side – then it will not creep in the pan.
Onion buns: recipe and steps
It is worth noting that onion buns are prepared as simply as pies – the dough is prepared as well, with the exception of the filling method – it is put less than in pies, in addition, onions can be added simply to the dough when kneading.
Separately, it should be said that pies with cottage cheese and onions can boast of a high content of vitamins and nutrients..
It is also important to remember that onion buns, the recipe of which is the same as the pies, should be sprinkled with finely chopped onion..
Pies with onions: a step-by-step recipe with a photo
Add yeast to warm milk and set aside for 10-30 minutes Beat eggs, salt, sugar separately and add to milk with yeast Add flour and knead the dough, then cover it with a towel and set it aside. Knead the raised dough and set aside for the second rise Finely chop the green onion and fry for about a minute in a pan Boil the eggs hard-boiled, peel and chop, then mix with the onion Next, we divide the dough into equal parts and form balls Roll the balls into a pancake shape, put the filling in it and wrap it Pies need to lie down for 15 minutes to brew The pies are baked for 15-20 minutes at a temperature of up to 200 degrees, until a blush appears