The latest scientific research suggests that avocado is the best thing that nature has invented for our health, youth and beauty..
At the end of the article, you will find tips on how to choose an avocado, how to store and eat it, and how to prevent the cut from browning..
1. Bad breath will disappear
All thanks to the large amount of flavonoids with antibacterial and antioxidant properties that kill oral bacteria. Basically, a slice of avocado can be eaten in place of gum, or used in place of toothpaste in the morning! The benefits of the fruit are so strong that regular consumption can prevent cancer of the oral mucosa..
2. The kidneys will work better, the swelling will decrease
Our hero contains a lot of potassium (437.27 mg per 100 g), which helps the body maintain a healthy water balance and makes it easier for the kidneys. People with chronic pyelonephritis and other kidney diseases especially need avocado.
- However, people with hyperkalemia should stay away from avocados..
3. The risk of heart disease will be significantly reduced
A 2019 Pennsylvania State University study found that eating at least one avocado a day lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides by about 22% and increases good cholesterol (HDL) levels by 11%! Overall, the fruit is beneficial for healthy blood flow and cardiovascular health..
4. Reduce excess weight
Avocados are one of the fattest plant foods. It would seem, what kind of weight loss can we talk about? However, there is no mistake – due to the fact that avocados contain so many fats (healthy polyunsaturated ones!) And fiber (about 14 g per fruit), that feeling of fullness comes very quickly. Just half an avocado can relieve you of hunger for as much as 5 hours.!
5. Wrinkles will be smoothed out, the skin will become more elastic
Vitamins A, C and E contained in avocados will help smooth out existing wrinkles and prevent the formation of new ones, by stimulating collagen production, the skin will become more elastic and elastic, fatty acids and omega-9 will help renewal and hydration of epidermal cells, and lutein and zeaxanthin will even protect it from UV rays (as will vitamin E). We can say that avocado is a natural SPF filter..
- Keep in mind that avocado is beneficial for female beauty and youth, not only as a product, but also as a face and hair mask..
6. Blood pressure will decrease
Avocado is the best friend of hypertensive patients. We have already mentioned that the fruit contains a large amount of potassium, which has a beneficial effect on the fluid balance within the cells, which means it maintains optimal blood pressure and prevents osteoporosis. If avocado is consumed regularly, the top pressure can drop by 6 mmHg, and the bottom – by 4!
7. Vision will improve
It turns out that avocados are healthier for eyesight than blueberries! This is because it contains very rare lutein and zeaxanthins, which prevent age-related eye diseases that lead to blindness. And due to the fact that avocados are also fatty, all these beneficial nutrients are better absorbed in the intestines..
8. Reduce the risk of cancer
Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Lutein, Monounsaturated Fatty Oleic Acid in avocado is a powerful combo for the prevention and treatment of breast, prostate and other cancers..
9. Good mood and high performance will become the norm
Regular consumption of avocados stabilizes your emotional state, has a beneficial effect on the nervous system and will promote the production of the hormone of happiness – serotonin..
- Remember that the less potassium in the human body, the more it is prone to depressive conditions..
Due to the fact that avocado improves blood supply and protects blood vessels, our cognitive functions, memory, performance and brain function in general improve..
10. The liver will be healthy
Large amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins A and E, combined with glutathione, will protect your liver from oxidative stress, help the liver filter harmful substances and defend against free radicals.
How to choose the right avocado
In Russia, avocado began to be sold everywhere relatively recently, so many have not yet had time to taste it, or … having had the first unsuccessful experience, they gave up trying to “make friends” with it. Indeed, very often this fruit is sold as hard as stone, tasteless, completely unappetizing and, more importantly, less useful. So, how to choose the right avocado?
- First of all, we pay attention to the color – it should be saturated green, without dark spots. Exceptions are “black” varieties of fruit, for example, haas.
- The second important criterion is the degree of softness. If you buy an avocado to eat in the next two days, then buy soft fruits. If you plan to make a purchase with a margin, then choose hard fruits (but not too hard).
How to store and eat an avocado
- For the avocado to better retain its benefits, it must be stored in the refrigerator;
- Hard fruits can be ripened at room temperature in a dark place;
- After cutting the avocado, you need to have time to eat it within 24 hours;
- Avocados are eaten only fresh, since after heat treatment it significantly loses its beneficial properties and becomes bitter.
How to prevent a cut avocado from turning black?
To avoid oxidation, due to which the avocado darkens, becomes less appetizing and tasty, you can:
- Drizzle with lemon or lime juice and it is advisable to wrap it with polyethylene so that the juice does not drain and evaporate. Of course, after that, the fruit must be sent for storage in the refrigerator..
- Brush liberally with olive oil – so you close access to air.
- Store with onions. A quarter of a freshly cut (!) Onion, placed together with an avocado in a container with a lid, will prevent the latter from darkening for a couple of days.