With the help of a do-it-yourself cover, you can radically change the appearance of a chair or stool From year to year, lovers of home comfort are interested in the question: how to make the kitchen more stylish, how to decorate a chair or stool for the kitchen with original and practical covers? Having engaged in the independent design of covers and their sewing, you will achieve unprecedented results. Let’s figure it out in all the intricacies.
What to make do-it-yourself stool covers
The art of hand-made, which has been rapidly developing in recent years, makes it possible, by using imagination, to use a variety of materials for sewing covers..
To create original masterpieces, the following are most often used:
- Cotton fabric;
- Woolen fabrics;
- Viscose and silk fabrics;
- Rough burlap;
- Imitation leather (dermantin);
- Technical non-woven fabric;
- Stretch oilcloth;
- Decorative mesh, etc..
A well-chosen pattern can be successfully applied to any material, and the chairs decorated with your own hands look exclusive.
The festive decoration of the kitchen table in a classic style will harmoniously complement the chair covers, made in the same design concept as the tablecloth
Why the idea to decorate a chair or stool with your own hands is worth implementing:
- This is an ideal option to diversify your kitchen design;
- The ability to save on costs;
- Sewing covers with an original design yourself is quite easy.
It is not necessary to be a master of a professional cut – the pattern is simple and understandable even for a beginner, there are few seams, the consumption of fabric is small.
Different approach to backrest chair and kitchen stool
Decorating the kitchen with homemade sewing is a worthy idea.
Before you start setting up your kitchen and start decorating chairs with removable parts, consider the technological difference:
- The stool has a universal seat (the same on all sides);
- Chairs with backs will require much more attention and diligence. The pattern will be a little more complicated (a special approach will be required at the backrest attachment points).
Let’s look at the cutting and sewing technology from simple to more complex.
Any fabric can be used for exclusive, distinctive products
Homemade pattern of stool covers for the kitchen
Initially, you should be guided by three criteria:
- The shape of the seat that backless kitchen chairs have (round or square);
- Seat height (that is, its thickness);
- Design of the surrounding interior (ideally, do-it-yourself covers fit organically into the surrounding picture).
Attention! The design approach to the sewing of covers depends on the first two criteria, the color of the fabric depends on the third criterion.
How to arrange round seats
To prepare a drawing with your own hands, decide for yourself whether the pattern will consist of a single piece of fabric or you are more impressed by the option like a “cap” or “sieve” (a flat round bottom, to the perimeter of which a narrow ribbon is sewn).
- Solid fabric model ideal for thin, flat seats;
- Buildable model great for tall seats.
Motifs of classicism will harmoniously flow into shabby chic Stool cover can be both festive and everyday
The order of cutting and sewing when sewing a one-piece model:
- Spread the fabric on a large table or directly on the floor, straighten it;
- With chalk draw a circle that actually matches the shape of the seat;
- Draw the first circle with a neat line at a distance of 8-12 cm from the first (you will get another circle);
- Cut the outside of the fabric;
- Carefully process the edge (fold it so that there is room for an elastic band or lace);
- Stitch on a typewriter, not forgetting to leave ~ 1.5 cm for holding an elastic band (or 2 unsewn places for two laces – such covers are pulled together from both sides during operation, and at the meeting points one lace is tied with a bow).
Creative cover will make any ordinary stool original
Attention! These are the simplest technologies. Those who are ready to fantasize and take risks will be rewarded for their courage: strings, ribbons, flounces, decor can be placed along the trimmed edge.
The order of cutting and sewing the simplest modular model:
- First, a circle pattern is made (in the shape of exactly like a seat, plus 1.5 for a margin for a seam);
- Then fold the circle in four and with an elastic centimeter measure approximately the length of the semicircular line – the arc that formed during folding (just remember that you need to measure along the sewing line, and not along the outer edge);
- A straight tape is cut out, similar in length to the circumference along the sewing line;
- Do not forget, in the same way as in the case of the circle, leave 1-1.5 cm for the connecting seams.
- Sew both ends of the tape firmly on a typewriter;
- Treat the seam, smooth it, iron it with steam.
Vivid imagination and skillful hands are able to create incredible
Attention! It is recommended that when cutting out the tape, run the longitudinal thread of the fabric along the length of the tape, and not across. Elasticity of the cut strip is absolutely unnecessary.
Now the special moment is sewing the circle and the ribbon. Since the circle is unstable in any case (during operation, the fabric “floats” back and forth, because the longitudinal-transverse arrangement of the threads is affected), insure against deformations.
Sewing a cover on a stool (video instruction)
You can protect against deformations as follows:
- Mark the circle at regular intervals. For example, 8 divisions (we advise neat people to use chalk, and for beginners with a contrasting thread – make marks in the form of large stitches so that they will not be erased during work from numerous fittings);
- On the tape, do the same;
- Along the line of the future sewing, sew on the machine with the largest stitch in a weak tension (or – manually with a needle and thread, a step of about 4 mm);
- Barely pull off the stitched seam or basting;
- Treat the tightened seam as gently as possible with hot steam.
The cut of the chair cover with the back will depend on the interior of the kitchen as a whole.
Attention! Newbies may not be in the know. It is impossible to “fit” the line of the circle and tape perfectly. Therefore, there is a so-called fit (in general, it is used to join curly parts – sleeves, trousers, etc.).
And now, finally, the final is nearing – stitching of both parts:
- Remember the markings that you were recommended to do on the circle and tape (8 pcs.)? Pin in these places with pins or grab with stitches.
- Sew a circle and ribbon around the circle with a basting.
- Once you have sketched, make sure once again whether the alignment accuracy is high enough;
- Now feel free to sew on a sewing machine;
- Remove all temporary stitches and threads.
The warmth of home comfort can be created with your own hands
Further at your discretion. The more original you decorate the edges, the more stylish your kitchen chairs will look..
Useful for cladding:
- Contrasting fabric ribbons;
- Decorative ornaments.
Regarding round covers, remember: to keep the circle on the seat, another effective way to “tame” the flat fabric is to make tucks around the entire perimeter, directing them downward, towards the bend under the seat. Self-styled protections look more orderly than fabric that spontaneously crimps when the elastic is pulled together along the outer edge..
In certain cases, any simple accessory like a ribbon or a bow can completely change the look of the planned product.
We cover square seats
In this case, the development and manufacture of covers with your own hands is much easier..
Again, as with the round shape, choose:
- One-piece pattern or prefabricated;
- Sewing methods are the same – stitching the top square with a side strip or one large square, fitting a stool from top to bottom under the seat.
The DIY sewing process is similar to that described above. The main difference is that a square seat, when trimmed with side elements, requires a different approach: the most difficult thing is at the corners of the square, where the seat fabric and side elements meet. There you will have to try. Make cuts at an angle of 45 degrees, then, with maximum accuracy, manually sweep the parts, sew on a typewriter.
Attention! If you do not have experience of such actions, it is better to make a pattern from a single square with tucks in the corners. Such a drapery is adequate for a kitchen of any design, and technologically very simple..
A chair cover can become a bright accent in the interior, repeating any of its unpretentious details.
Homemade pattern of chair covers with a back for the kitchen
In principle, the approach to decorating chairs with covers is the same as in the case of stools:
- The shape of the seat is the same (round, square);
- Seat thickness (height) small or large.
The only difference is in the more complex operations in the backrest attachment points. By the way, the backrests are fastened differently for different models. There are those in which the seat, as it were, rises above the branching bend of the supporting element to which the back is attached. That is, the option from a single piece of material will work quite well..
Recommendations for backrest attachment points
In addition to the actions required by a stool without a backrest, processing of two adjacent corners (those on which the back of the chair is located) is added. There is no way to get around this time-consuming moment, because a living person now and then fidgets in a chair, moves, shifts the covers in different directions.
Ready-made patterns for covers can be taken from the Internet
With top seat plus side stripe technology:
- We’ll have to cut out a strip, not reaching the place of the backrest mountings;
- Extend the space between the two backrest mountings by the same width as for the sewing strip along the rest of the seat perimeter.
With the technology “one-piece fabric with a fold under the seat”:
- Cut two corners obliquely, grind the edge on a typewriter or trim with decorative edge tape;
- If the stool allows you to do with 4 strings in the corners, then chairs with a back require you to add 2 more of them. (since each cut corner gives two instead of one vertex of the square).
Sewing a cover for a chair with a back (video instruction)
So, you probably understood the general principles of sewing a cover for a stool or chair with a back. Review various videos, fashion and sewing magazines. Listen to the advice of friends, ask friends about their experience in this matter. And only after that go for it. Make your kitchen stunning!
Chair covers in the interior (photo gallery)