It is important for each hostess to decide on the choice of a functional, durable and suitable for the overall style of the kitchen countertop.
What you need to know about countertops
The most common reason for changing countertops is deformation due to poor waterproofing. Liquid silicone sealant can be used to protect against water.
- The working panel for cooking, it is on this plane that the cutting board and products are exposed;
- A place for drying dishes, if the drying is not removed inside the upper cabinet above the sink;
- As a decorative element, choosing a countertop is as important as choosing an apron for the kitchen..
The worktop is a monolithic or multi-piece slab that is attached to the kitchen base cabinets
To correctly select the size of the countertop, you need to take into account:
- The width of the lockers on which it will be installed;
- Material specifications.
By the principal arrangement of the countertops there are:
- Frontal, the plane goes in one direction;
- Angular, the plane changes direction.
There are countertops for the kitchen, which are already included in the set, and there are those that are created to order..
If you wish, you can replace the finished version with the author’s one, especially if the quality of the material does not suit you.
Nowadays, the modern development of production technologies does not stand still, so the choice of material for countertops is quite diverse.
New countertops are being installed:
- With the dismantling of old ones;
- On top of the old.
An important nuance is the sealing of all joints of the countertop with an apron or wall. Water getting into the joints between the panels causes swelling and rotting of all materials, except for stone and plastic.
Choosing a countertop for the kitchen (video)
Standard sizes of kitchen countertops: choice of materials
For a small kitchen, narrow countertop options are needed, and for a spacious one, any.
What you need to know about the dimensions of the countertop:
- Depth is the distance from the outer edge to the wall;
- A seam is a joint between two or more parts of the panel, that is, seamless – these are one-piece options, and with seams – these are prefabricated models;
- The depth and length also depend on the material; each group of materials has its own standards..
If the budget for repairs is limited by common sense, then natural stone should be abandoned. This material is not practical, expensive, although certainly beautiful.
The standard sizes of countertops appeared in connection with the same type of kitchens, so it was difficult for designers-technologists to move away from these dimensions.
Popular and affordable tabletop options, their sizes and characteristics:
- Chipboard with laminated coating. The length of the sheet is 350 cm, the depth of the sheet is 60.0 cm. There are options with a length of 410 cm and 305 cm, you can also combine the cuts with each other, change the direction to an angular one. If necessary, you can cut with a jigsaw to any depth or length. The coating serves to decorate and protect the chipboard, usually there is an untreated edge, it is from this side that you need to trim, so as not to damage the fold of the coating. On sale there are trim strips, special protectors for the table top that isolate the side cut and protect the material from destruction. Thickness ranges from 2.8 cm to 3.8 cm.
- Wood. The second most popular material, standard sizes: length from 1 to 3 meters, thickness is usually 4.0 cm, but there are options with a thickness of up to 6 cm.The most popular sizes of wooden countertops: 1.26 meters long, 60.6 cm wide , and the second is 2.46 m long, 60.6 cm wide. This calculation is due to the dimensions of Russian kitchens..
- Fake diamond. Best seamless material, you can even create seamless corner countertops by seaming the joint. Standard sizes – 60 cm deep and 2.4 m long.
If you need to increase the depth of the countertop, you should select a non-standard canvas, for example, 70 or 80 cm.
Such tabletops are usually not included in the headset set, but are ordered individually..
Kitchen countertop 4 meters: what to do
A small kitchen is a reason for the suffering of a huge number of Russians. Small space severely limits the choice of furniture and, in general, creativity when renovating. Any wide kitchen set with deep cabinets with such a kitchen area will simply take 2/3 of the room, and the remaining third will go under the dining table.
The kitchen countertop should be practical and durable, this is perhaps the most important criterion for any housewife
What can be done to save the day:
- Revise the concept of the kitchen;
- Do not buy wide headsets, it is better not to buy a headset at all, but to do it according to an individual project;
- Use the area of the walls, make hanging shelves of an open type or with light glass doors, remove everything that is possible there;
- Make the lower cabinets under the countertop no wider than 30-40 cm;
- Choose a narrow and long sink, place it along the wall, and not at a right angle;
- Occupy all niches with built-in wardrobes, preferably hanging;
- Attach the table without legs directly to the wall – this will increase the usable area of the kitchen;
- Purchase a standard worktop and cut it with a jigsaw to the desired depth.
The jigsaw is sold at a hardware store. It needs blades – cutting plates. They have varieties in material, if the tabletop is made of chipboard, you need a canvas for wood.
The kitchen countertop must comply with the layout of the room, the definition of work areas, and ensure the comfort and safety of family members
How to cut:
- Fasten the tabletop tightly to the table or workbench with clamps, if there are no clamps, press down with the weight of the assistant;
- Make markings in advance, cut at high speeds so that no chips occur;
- If you can’t use a jigsaw on your own, give up and order a cut in a hardware store.
Sawing and fitting to dimensions for a certain fee can be ordered together with delivery in every building hypermarket.
Narrow kitchen countertops: how to combine with a stove
Typically, the countertop line runs between the sink and the hob. There are a lot of models of narrow but long shells. The small width of the shell is compensated for by its depth and length. A narrow stove for 2 burners can also be found on sale, but a more interesting option is where 4 burners are located in a row.
It is important to remember that the width of the countertop should be oriented towards the size of the kitchen, but do not forget about the size of the work surface.
This is a rare model, but it exists. In everyday life, narrow sinks and stoves are not convenient, there is a lot of splashes, the walls and apron of the kitchen quickly get dirty.
But a cluttered kitchen is even more inconvenient, so of two evils you need to choose the one that you can afford.
Technologists advise choosing the shape of the countertops based on the layout of the room, the configuration of the headset and the organization of the working area.
Corner countertop for the kitchen: dimensions and fit
The joint of two panels to change the direction of the table top must be carried out at an angle of 45 degrees. Then waterproofing is necessarily carried out at all joints, with a sink, with a stove, with a kitchen apron and between two panels of the countertop. Some materials can be sanded, but laminated chipboards cannot.
In small kitchens, literally every square centimeter counts, so the best solution for them is the installation of corner countertops.
If you do not have the skill to work with a jigsaw, then you need to measure the required dimensions in advance and report them to the sawing shop. What if a corner tabletop changes not only the direction but also the width of the panel? This situation is very convenient in a small kitchen with a niche. The narrow panel runs along the wall and includes the sink and slab, while the wider panel fits into the niche. You can build a slab into a niche, but then you need to cover the walls with such a finish that does not absorb grease..
A corner worktop can be ideal for both small and large kitchens, such a choice is an individual matter
As a result of joining a narrow and wide panel at an angle of 45 degrees, the side cut of the wide part remains open.
It is here that you need to use a crosscut bar, which will beautifully mask and protect the cut. If you want an easier solution, then you can arrange a small-sized kitchen not in a modern, but in a traditional way. In this case, any corner kitchen set, even Soviet times, with an already built-in corner worktop will do..
Corner countertop in the interior of the kitchen (video)
Ready-made options are always worse than an individual fit, but if you need a quick solution, they use just such a move..
Kitchen countertops: dimensions (photo)