Built-in shelves in the wall allow you to make the most of your kitchen space How to create an original interior? What to do with the multitude of souvenirs presented by friends and brought back from vacations? There is only one answer – pay attention to the shelves and walls. The best solution would be a lot of shelves that can be placed in different ways..
Methods for placing shelves in an apartment
Storage shelves can be placed:
- on the wall;
- in the wall;
- between the walls, dividing the space.
The easiest way to place shelves is on the walls. It is easy to hang them – you just need to drive dowels into the walls and hang the shelves. The placement of the shelves in this case depends on personal taste..
Niches with shelves in the kitchen can be used as a decorative element, placing various souvenirs and unusual elements there Storing crockery in the shelves built into the wall is a very rational solution. And if your dishes are designer, then such a solution will also significantly transform the kitchen.
The shelves located in a niche in the back of the wall look more interesting and original. At the same time, modern design involves niches of various shapes and sizes. This solution gives the room individuality and originality..
The role of shelves in a niche:
- a niche allows you to increase the storage space;
- a niche in the wall allows you to increase the usable area – if you punch a niche 20 cm deep in a wall 25 cm thick, then an extra 20 cm is gained, which can be used with benefit;
- a niche decorates the room and makes it original.
Where niches can be made
If you strive for originality and convenience in everything, pay attention to niches with shelves on the apron. This is convenient, first of all, because all useful and frequently used things are always at hand.
A niche in an apartment is appropriate in almost any room. In the bedroom, niches can be used for storing things and placing lamps; in the living room, a niche can be used for placing books and interior items, in the bathroom – for placing towels; in the nursery – for children’s toys.
Important: To create a special atmosphere, niches can be equipped with lighting that will illuminate the shelves. At the same time, such a backlight will play the role of additional lighting..
- natural – that is, the openings formed as a result of the layout of the apartment under the window, in the area of the ventilation duct, and so on;
- specially made during construction: storage niches;
- artificially made by the tenants themselves during the renovation.
Niches without shelves are completely meaningless. It is the shelves that make the niches a separate storage system. It is not difficult to equip niches with shelves yourself. It is important here to precisely align where the shelves are placed in the walls. It is important that there is no electrical wiring or pipe decoupling in this place..
In a natural niche, household appliances or shelves can be located. Shelves are a good solution for natural beggars. In this case, the dead space can be used to the maximum. The niche under the windows may well be transformed for organizing the storage of small things – for this, it is enough to place 1-2 shelves under the windowsill.
In specially designed pantries, the arrangement of the shelves is more than natural. Storage rooms can be reorganized into walk-in closets or shelving.
Built-in shelves can be made into the entire wall. Such a solution will resemble a wardrobe and will make the life of the hostess a little more convenient. Niches with shelves are best used in conjunction with lighting. This will not only make the kitchen more original, but also add a little bit of light.
Specially made niches become the most interesting and original ones. They can have a non-standard shape. The shelves in such niches can also have an unusual shape. These niches look good in bedrooms and living rooms. They give the interior an unusual sound..
Features of the design of shelves:
- In the kitchen, shelves should be made of moisture-resistant material – moisture-resistant drywall or wood treated with impregnations and varnish to impart moisture resistance.
- When designing, it is necessary to take into account the purpose of the shelves and their estimated carrying capacity – if the shelves are intended for interior things, then a simple fastening is enough. If it is assumed that heavy objects will be installed on the shelves, for example, a TV and other equipment, then the structure of the shelves should be reinforced with a metal profile..
- According to the design concept, the shelves can have curly shapes. In this case, it is better to use drywall..
Examples of a niche in the wall in the kitchen (photo)
What you need to work
In order to make built-in shelves in a niche in the wall, you will need tools and materials.
The tools you need
- jigsaw or electric jigsaw;
- grinder with discs;
- electric screwdriver.
- screws or nails;
- joiner’s glue;
- shelf stops;
Stages of work
Niches with drywall shelves are the best solution for the kitchen. Drywall has all the properties to be in the kitchen
So what you have to do:
- Determine the location of the shelves. Using a level, mark the location of the shelves and racks for the shelves.
- Make a mark.
- Cut out the shelves according to the size of the niche. The length of the shelf should match the width of the niche. Finish and sand the edges of the shelf.
- Drill rows of holes into which to insert the shelf stops. Wedges or corners can be used as stops. These fixtures will serve as supports for installing the shelves..
- Install the shelves in the niche on the stops.
If your kitchen has a small area, built-in shelves in niches are not for you. The metal frame eats up a significant part of the space, so this solution will make the kitchen even smaller and less comfortable. After installing the frame, it is sheathed with plasterboard. Next comes putty and surface sanding. Then everything is covered with a final coating (whitewash, paint, and so on)
The shelves in the niche can be varnished, painted or pasted over with wallpaper or self-adhesive film. The decoration method depends on the general concept of the room..
How to make niches in the wall with shelves (video)
Wall shelves are able to create an original and extraordinary design concept. You can save a lot of money by making the shelves in the apartment yourself. It is important here to accurately observe the dimensions and carry out all the work carefully. Then niches with shelves will look aesthetically pleasing..
Niche in the kitchen in the wall (photo)