Patchwork with knitting needles is distinguished from the traditional direction in that the elements of the products are not sewn from pieces of fabric, but are knitted from threads.In the patchwork technique, along with traditional sewing, knitted patchwork is also popular. The product is created according to the same mosaic principle, only parts (motifs) of multi-colored yarn are knitted instead of patches with knitting needles or crochet. Creating new patterns and patterns, designers and experienced craftsmen create original blankets, bags, tablecloths, cardigans, dresses, sweaters, jackets, mittens, toys and other interesting extraordinary things.
Knitting technique for patchwork
Patchwork knitting is a convenient and exciting type of needlework for beginners, because knitting a motif in the form of a simple geometric figure with a thread of the same color is easier than knitting a large canvas. The variety of colors pleases the eye, besides, an unsuccessful square can always be bandaged, achieving perfection. You can see product options on video and photo..
There are 2 ways in this technique:
- Tie separate motives (squares, rhombuses, polygons, shells). The elements of the canvas are formed according to the selected scheme and the individual parts are sewn (with a needle or crochet).
- Fragments are connected already in the knitting process. For this method, it is enough to know how to read diagrams, be able to dial loops, decrease and knit facial loops.
The patchwork knitting technique implies two options for connecting fragments: ready-made elements are sewn together or the connection is made in the process of knitting
Knitted patchwork knitting needles: patterns
Before knitting mittens, jackets and sweaters, you need to master the technique of knitting a square. For example, you can take a width of 15 loops. It is convenient to use the pattern and scheme calculations.
To do this, you need to dial 31 = 15 + 1 + 15 loops (the central loop will be in the corner of the square)
All squares in the patchwork technique are performed as follows: front loops on both sides. In the second row, make decreases, knitting 3 loops in the center together with the front.
The edge of the squares is obtained with knots, for this, the first loop is simply removed, and the last one is knitted with the front
After decreasing the last 3 loops, the thread is cut and fastened, pulling it through the last loop.
For the next fragment, 15 loops are typed on the knitting needles in the usual way and 16 more – along the edge of the 1st square – the knitting needle is inserted beyond the edge and the loop is pulled towards itself
The second square is knitted in the same way, with decreases in every second row in the center. A number of squares are knitted to the planned width of the canvas by analogy with the second square.
After the end of the first row of squares, they move to the second row, for which 15 loops are recruited along the upper edge and 16 more in another way: throw air loops on the knitting needles.
The square is knitted as usual – front loops + subtractions from 3 central loops
To dial the loops for the second square, dial 15 loops along the edge of the first row, another 15 loops from the corner and along the edge of the adjacent square of the second row. We knit a square. Continue knitting in the same way until the fabric reaches the height of the intended thing. Using the prepared patterns, knit rows of squares using the same method.
It is important to note that the direction of knitting is always the same – from left to right.
Knitting a patchwork tablecloth (video)
Patchwork knitting: socks and slippers
In the patchwork technique, you can knit anything: a blanket, a hat, a cardigan, a pullover, mittens and even socks. A master class on making patchwork-style slippers will help you learn how to knit socks. First you need to prepare yarn of the same texture and thickness, but different shades and knitting needles of the corresponding number.
- Starting with a control sample. It will be a square with a diagonal, 2 times shorter than the foot. On the needles, you need to dial 35 loops.
In the middle of the row, we decrease the loops: knit 16 knit stitches, 3 next knit stitches together and again 16 knit stitches
- Continue knitting, decreasing the loops in the center, until 9 stitches remain. The foot can now be measured and compared with the diagonal of the sample. If the results coincide, you can continue knitting, if not, tie the square, increasing (or decreasing) the knitting density.
- Moving on to the second square. On a free knitting needle, cast on 13 loops from the edge on the left, and knit them with front loops.
- You must do the same and with 13 loops on the right side.
- There should now be 35 stitches on the needles.. We knit them with the front.
- We continue knitting according to the scheme, which was used in step 3 until 1 loop remains.
- Now you can cut the thread and cast on a knitting needle 34 loops with yarn of a different shade.
We carry out similar reductions until there is 1 loop on the needle again. This is the side of the slippers
- In the same way the other side is also tied.
- Returning the thread, which the sock was knitted. Cast on 34 hem stitches and knit the heel in decreases to 9 stitches.
- Cast on 13 edging and knit a row of knit.
- Similarly – with the right parties.
- Tie the last square to the top, using the same scheme to decrease.
To tie the slippers around the perimeter, you need to dial all the edge loops on 4 knitting needles and knit in a circle, alternating faces. and out. rows to keep the shawl pattern. Decreases must be performed on the folds
- Knit 8 rows in this way and close the loops. You can do the fitting – the slippers are ready. If you increase the number of rows for tying to the required height, you can also tie a sock. Mittens are also knitted according to this principle..
Knitted Patchwork Sweaters
For those who have mastered the general principles of knitting – socks, patchwork-style mittens from photos, videos and master classes, you can swing at a cute sweater or pullover, especially since a detailed master class is available even for beginners.
The scheme is designed for the 36th size, if you need to increase the pullover, you need to calculate the loops for your size as in normal knitting.
For work, you need gray yarn – 350 g, beige – 200 g, circular needles No. 4.5
The main part of the product is connected with a mesh pattern, for which you need to dial loops, multiples of the number of 4 + 1-a + 2-nd edging.
Front side: hem + rappoport: 2 stitches together, crossed front + 2 yarns + 2 together front. The latter – one front and edge.
Purl: edging +1 out. + Rappoport: 1 out. + Yarn (out.) + Yarn (out.) + 1 out., Edging.
Cast on 20 loops + 2 edging. Use the scheme, only the front side is shown in the photo, since the wrong side is knitted according to the pattern, where the yarns are knitted with the wrong side. A fragment of the pattern is repeated from the 1st to the 10th rows.
A detailed diagram of the pattern shows a complete fragment of the future product.
For a pattern, you need to calculate the density of the pattern. For a mesh knitting density: a 10x10cm sample contains 18 stitches and 24 r. For a braid pattern, the density of the fabric: a 10x10cm sample should fit 20 stitches + 2 edging and 24 r..
It should be noted that the back and before on the pattern are knitted separately, then sewn according to the pattern. The direction of knitting is shown by arrows..
Pattern-pattern of the back and front
Each part of the front and back is knitted 2 times.
Instructions step by step:
- The pullover starts by knitting part A with a gray thread. On the needles – 39 loops, the fabric is knitted with a mesh pattern to a height of 24 cm (58 p.).
- To knit a part In a gray thread, 27 loops are recruited, 74 rows are knitted with a net pattern (30.5 cm).
- For detail A, 22 loops are set with a beige thread, knitted with a “braid” pattern 58 r. (24 cm).
- For detail In beige thread, dial 22 loops and knit with a “braid” pattern 74 r. (30.5 cm).
- The pullover is sewn using a pattern.
- To tie the shoulder strap, 86 loops are typed along the edge of the upper edge with a beige thread, 4 p. (1.5cm) purl stitch. Then the loops must be closed.
- For the lower plank, you need to dial 86 loops with a gray thread, tie the canvas with a purl stitch by 1.5 cm (4 p.) And close the edge.
- The next step is knitting the sleeves. With a gray thread, 42 loops are typed, knitting a bar of 1.5 cm (4 p.) With a purl stitch. Then knitting is continued with a mesh pattern, using only rappoport. For bevels of the sleeves, add 9 loops from the plank on each side in every eighth row, then in each 6th row – 12 times in a loop.
- There should be 60 stitches on the needle. When the sleeve length reaches 33.5 cm (80 rubles from the strap), you can close the loops.
Collect a pullover, starting from the shoulder seams – 13 cm on each side. Then in the middle there are 22 cm of open loops for the neck. It remains to sew on the sleeves, connect the side seams and seams on the sleeves, – the pullover is ready, and you can proceed to fitting.
Jackets, cardigans – any patchwork jacket are knitted according to the same principle.
It is better to master the technique of patchwork knitting – socks, mittens, cardigans and hats, a video master class will help.
Knitting in patchwork style (video)
Even those who have never worked in the patchwork technique before should master it, which opens up new horizons for creating exclusive products..
Creative inspiration for you!
Knitting in patchwork style (photo)