Correctly selected blinds for the kitchen will help create the right mood, highlight the necessary accents and decorate any interior Window decoration plays an important role in creating a stylish interior. Blinds in the kitchen are a simple, elegant and practical window decoration. There are models of blinds that are used instead of curtains, as an independent curtain. And there are models that are harmoniously combined with tulle or curtains. Tips from professional interior designers will help you not get lost in all the variety of options and make the right decision.
How to choose blinds for the kitchen: tips and tricks
To choose the right blinds for the kitchen, you need to take into account some factors..
What to consider:
- The material from which the blinds and the lifting mechanism are made;
- Decorative qualities of the product, color, texture;
- Dimensions, width and height of the window.
When choosing blinds for the kitchen, you need to take into account the direction of the blinds plates, vertical, horizontal, roll models
The first thing you need to decide on is the attachment of the blinds. The baguette is set:
- On the ceiling above the windows;
- On the wall above the windows;
- On window frames.
When calculating the size of the blinds, you need to take into account that for effective shading of the room, the curtains should extend beyond the perimeter of the window opening by 15-25 cm. For small windows, the blinds are mounted directly on the frame. For narrow, wide or tall windows, use a ceiling or wall mount.
Standard dimensions of commercial blinds, length:
- 1m 60 cm;
- 1m 80 cm.
If the installation is used directly on the frame, it is convenient when the blinds do not reach the level of the window sill by 2-3 cm. With this length, you can use the entire plane of the window sill. Standard blinds range in width from 100 to 180 cm.
Materials for blinds, their features:
- Plastic – the most popular option, available in a wide range of colors. Looks great on plastic windows. Plastic structures are cheaper than other materials, and if you handle the product carefully, they serve for a long time. There is a common stereotype about plastic blinds, as if such window decoration is used only in office and office space. Color options, which are on sale in a huge variety, are almost impossible to find in the office. They are used for the home, installed in the kitchen, bedroom and living room. To soften the atmosphere, you can close the window frame with blinds, and additionally decorate the window with a light sheer curtain..
- Wood. An expensive and not very convenient material to use. Condensation accumulates on windows when the temperature drops, humidity is not useful for wooden products. If, according to the author’s idea, the kitchen is planned in an eco-style, in the style of Provence or country, then it is better to purchase not natural wood, but lamellas stylized as wood. The term lamella denotes the slats that make up the blinds.
- Metal. Light alloys of aluminum are used. This material also has advantages, it is the strongest and most durable, does not fade, does not deform.
- Bamboo. Mostly used in oriental and ecological style, but wide bamboo slats can be used in any classic interior. Sturdy slats reliably block out sunlight and provide high-quality shade. Before purchasing bamboo blinds, you need to make sure that they have been treated, impregnated and varnished. Without finishing, bamboo loses its presentable appearance in 1-3 years.
- Textile. To protect against moisture and burnout, fabric lamellas are covered with a special layer of acrylic or polyvinyl chloride. These are materials that are safe for health, which give the product a beautiful appearance and rich color. In most cases, blinds have a woven fabric texture. When cleaning the kitchen, you can simply wash such curtains and quickly return them to their original freshness..
- Fiberglass. This is an ideal solution for the kitchen, since the material does not absorb foreign odors and impurities, is easy to clean, and lasts a long time. In addition, fiberglass lamellas are non-combustible, non-melting and environmentally friendly..
- Multifacture. Tiered blinds are often created by combining different materials such as fabric and fiberglass. This move makes the window decoration in the kitchen very original..
Lamellas create natural stripes, and any striped texture visually changes the space. With the help of the selection of blinds, you can influence the perception of the dimensions of the room.
When choosing, you need to pay attention not only to the lamellas themselves, but also to the quality of the lifting mechanism – this part of the product fails most often.
Blinds in the interior of the kitchen (video)
Vertical blinds in the kitchen: increase the height of the ceiling
The lamellas going from top to bottom make the room taller. You can use this solution with low ceilings, small windows or in a small kitchen. Very long lamellas need to be fixed to a ceiling or wall molding.
What is better to choose lamellas for plastic windows:
- The width of the plate should be from 5 to 10 cm;
- Material-wise, fabric or fiberglass options are the best.
For a fun kitchen, you can choose more colorful options: colored or textured models
You can use a cheaper, plastic version, but then add tulle or curtains to the blinds. A window closed only with simple white blinds with narrow slats does not look elegant enough for a home, creating a strict and restrained interior.
Blinds: horizontal arrangement of slats
Horizontal stripes make the window wider. This direction looks especially beautiful if the lamellas are made under a tree. Sunlight, passing between the plates, falls on the table or kitchen walls, forming a pattern that is pleasing to the eye..
Blinds with a horizontal arrangement of slats are most efficiently able to hide the room from bright sunlight
The horizontal arrangement can be recommended:
- For a narrow window;
- For a narrow room;
- For a small kitchen.
The lifting mechanism drives the lamellas and collects them in a strip under the baguette. If there is very little space in the kitchen, and the window sill is needed for use, it is best to fix the horizontal blinds directly on the window frame..
Roller blinds in the kitchen: colors and texture
The design of roller blinds is very simple, the entire success of the purchase depends on the choice of pattern.
How to choose a drawing that suits the style of the kitchen:
- For Provencal, country and rustic styles, you can use natural colors, images of fruits, vegetables, flowers, plants and nature;
- For eco-style, sunny shades of yellow, fresh shades of green, white, brown, beige are suitable;
- For minimalism, the color can be any, but solid;
- For the oriental style, you can choose roller blinds with the theme of Japan, China;
- For the classics, you can use any pattern, provided that it is sufficiently restrained in color and not too large..
This arrangement blocks out almost all the flow of sunlight and, if necessary, shades the kitchen.
Often, roller blinds or blinds are combined with regular curtains to frame the window more gently. In most cases, the roll is attached directly to the window frame.
Installing a mini-roll in the kitchen (video)
Photo blinds in the kitchen: ideas for the interior
From the moment photo printing reached technical perfection, photographs began to appear on any objects, walls, furniture, curtains..
Photo blinds are a powerful beacon for attention, any person entering the room will certainly notice this novelty. The technical characteristics of photo blinds are in no way inferior in the merits of their counterparts.
For the kitchen, you can choose harmonious and pleasant images: landscapes, fruits, vegetables, spices or macro photography of flowers and plants.
Blinds for kitchen cabinets
With the help of slats, you can close any element of the interior, niche, wall, wardrobe. If you need to create a front wall for open shelves or shade a glass door, you can use mini blinds..
If the kitchen uses more than two places under the blinds at the same time, it is desirable that the models are combined with each other in material
Full color identity is not required.
Do-it-yourself kitchen blinds: exclusive products
Crafting requires training.
First, you can try to make the simplest paper blinds:
- Take a piece of a roll of wallpaper or plain paper, fold it exactly along the width of the lamellas (accordion);
- Thread several rows of symmetrical threads;
- Bring out the tail of the lifting mechanism, install the handle on it.
The simplest blinds to protect windows from the sun’s rays can be made from the remnants of wallpaper.
After the paper layout is accurate, working and neat enough, you can make the blinds out of wood or metal. The lamellas are drilled with a thin specialized drill. Then the lifting mechanism is carried out. You can equip the designer blinds with a motor or an electric drive so that the curtain rises when you press a button. All technical details are stored in a compact plastic molding. Then the baguette is installed on the frame, ceiling or wall above the window opening..
Do-it-yourself paper blinds (video)
It is impossible to assemble complex blinds at home without technical ingenuity, but training and ingenuity will be rewarded with the created masterpiece..
Blinds in the interior of the kitchen (photo)