Bonsai is suitable for apartments: this decoration takes up little space and will look great in any interior Today, bonsai is very popular among connoisseurs of Japanese culture. Thanks to the right approach to growing a miniature copy of a tree in a pot, it is possible to create a wonderful corner of wildlife..
The art of growing potted bonsai
Many people mistakenly believe that bonsai technology first appeared in Japanese culture. But in fact, ornamental trees began to be grown more than 2 thousand years ago, back in ancient China..
For the production of bonsai, a special juniper or any other stabilized material is used.
In Japan, bonsai only achieved its popularity with the development of Buddhism. It was from here, after some time, that this art spread, which contributed to the appearance of plants on the territory of other countries. The 20th century was marked by the development of the latest methods for growing trees in vessels.
Compared to other oriental arts, the technology of growing plants in vessels is a whole philosophy..
There are several requirements for adhering to the correct technology.:
- The trunk must be strong and have a pronounced root base.
- The branches are correct and clear.
- It is important that the foliage does not completely cover the trunk and branches, but on the contrary, the backbone of the plant is clearly visible.
- It is better to choose a pot that is discreet and simple in shape..
- The wood and the vessel must match well to create the perfect composition..
As a rule, bonsai are made with a slight slope: these types of plants are the most expensive
Success requires a number of personality traits such as wisdom and benevolence. Therefore, people who are not representatives of this culture should show maximum attention to this art. After all, proper care of a tree in a pot contributes to its existence for many years..
What is bonsai and how to grow it (video)
Description of the main forms of this Japanese art
Many connoisseurs of this art are concerned about the question: “How to properly care for bonsai?”.
Shakan tree trunk tilt angle – from 70 to 90 degrees
But before answering it, you should get acquainted with the main types of plants in order to determine in the future which form will be used.:
- Chokkan. This species stands out for its symmetry and uniform arrangement of branches. The barrel is shaped like a cone.
- Mayogi. Here the shape of the tree is asymmetrical and the trunk is slightly inclined towards the base. Verkas evenly cover such bonsai.
- Shakan. The tree has a well-defined slope and has a strong root system. That is, the root and the top of the plant are directed in different directions..
- Fukinagashi. This shape is characterized by a large slope, especially near the top..
- Hokidachi. Although the trunk is straight, its shape is fan-shaped..
- Kengai and Khan-Kengai. The first type is characterized by a hanging or cascading arrangement of ropes, and in the second it is a semi-hanging form..
- Ishitsuki. This bonsai is considered a rock bonsai. For normal growth, it is necessary that the roots of the tree in the ground cover the stone.
- Sokan, Sankan and Kabudachi The first two are double-stemmed and triple-stemmed plants that develop from a single rhizome. And the last species is a bonsai with many trunks..
- Yose-Yu – is considered a forest composition, in which there are many plants of different ages.
- Ikadabuki. For a tree with this shape, it is important to have the correct trunk, where the branches are arranged vertically, and the whole composition consists of several plants..
One of the most attractive types of Japanese wood – hokidachi
Having chosen the type of bonsai you like, you need to take care of the correct selection of a vessel for growing a plant.
Rules for the selection of bonsai pots and unusual bonsai pots with drawings
It is important to know that its further development will depend on the correct choice of a vessel for a decorative tree. Such containers should be in harmony with the plant and correspond to the required dimensions..
A variety of materials are used to make a bonsai pot. The vessel can be ceramic, glass or earthenware. In addition, it is important that it has a flat shape..
The most popular are light bonsai pots: the design of the container itself should be as modest as possible.
In the art of bonsai, it is recommended to choose earthen vessels or those made from natural materials. It is also worth taking care of the correct size of the container. If the pot does not meet the necessary requirements, the root system will not be able to form properly. To ensure ventilation, the vessel must have several drainage holes and small legs on the bottom..
It is a flat flower pot that is preferable for the development of the correct root system, therefore it is better to choose shallow containers of various shapes.
Very often, connoisseurs of Japanese culture use a container with a pattern on it. Moreover, the drawings should not be too bright, but rather create a single composition with the plant. In such cases, bonsai pots are glazed on the outside, and the inside does not lend itself to such processing. This is necessary for normal contact of the ground with the walls, and to prevent it from slipping inside the pot..
Unglazed vessels are better suited for the formation of a young root system. Their walls provide good oxygen access, therefore, such containers are recommended to be used as temporary ones. And when the tree is strong enough, you can transplant the plant.
It is not necessary to select a pot to match the tone of the foliage – the trend of combining opposite colors has become quite fashionable.
When choosing the color of the container for bonsai, you need to take care of its harmonious combination with the foliage. For flowering plants, it is better to choose vessels with light colors. And pots of dark shades are suitable for dark greens. Compliance with these requirements will allow you to achieve harmony in this art (hachiutsuri).
Making a bonsai pot with your own hands
Today, choosing a bonsai pot in specialized stores will not be a problem. However, there are many who seek to create an unusual vessel with their own hands..
The most popular materials for making such pots are clay or ceramics. These materials are not destroyed by moisture and blend well with the plant..
For better ventilation, several holes should be drilled in the bonsai pot
A shallow ceramic container can be used to create such a vessel. A bowl or salad bowl with the right size and color will do. Then, using a special ceramic drill, you need to make several drainage holes for the roots..
In addition to this option, you can make a wooden container. It is easy to make a rectangular bonsai container using many special small blocks..
You must first take care of creating a sketch of the future pot. All parts should be fixed with wood glue. Drainage holes and legs are made after assembling the bottom, and then the rest of the structure is attached. It is also worth taking care of creating a stand designed for draining water. Its size should be slightly wider than the vessel itself..
The finished pot must be carefully primed, then painted in the desired color, and varnished after drying.
How to choose a pot for bonsai (video)
Bonsai art has found its admirers all over the world. But in order to create a harmonious image, you need to take care of the selection of the container for the tree and ensuring proper care for it..
Bonsai pot design (photo)