A wood-fired samovar is a symbol of hospitality, comfort, strength of family ties Yes, what is there in the interior, in everyday life or in festive traditions that always hold the family together. A wood-fired samovar is a symbol of hospitality, comfort, strength of family ties. Homemade cakes, jams, and tea made by hand are not considered relics, but the samovar, which in this “company” is very handy, is referred to as something long forgotten. Meanwhile, it is not difficult to heat a samovar, and even interesting, repairing it is also not the most expensive business. Well, if there is nothing to repair yet, look for an interesting model in the store – new samovars are coming into fashion.
Wood-fired samovar device: how to use the unit
The principle of operation of a brazier samovar, or a wood-fired samovar, has not changed for several centuries. To understand how to use such a device, it is worth understanding how it works..
The first fire samovar appeared in Russia at the beginning of the 18th century.
Wood-fired samovar device:
- Body (or water tank). It differs in size, design nuances and decor. The body is equipped with handles for easy portability. If the body is simple, copper, without much decor, the cost of such a samovar will not be as expensive as a painted analogue.
- Jug. This is the name of the pipe that runs through the entire body. The combustion process takes place in it. At the bottom of the jug there is a grate connected to the base, and there are already special holes through which air is supplied to the firebox.
- Lid. The lid closes the body, it has a hole for the top of the jug. There are handles on the lid, as well as steam extractors.
- Hotplate. After boiling on top of the lid, a burner is fixed to the outlet of the jug. There is a teapot on the hotplate. Moreover, in fact, you can put an electric kettle there..
- Faucet. It is located at the bottom of the samovar, just above the bottom. If the tap was located at the very bottom, then the same scale could get into the cup.
Samovar cutaway: unit device
Such a samovar was drowned by our ancestors, almost the same is drowned by our contemporaries..
Samovar device (video)
What is the difference between a modern samovar and a traditional one?
An antique wood-fired samovar is usually made of copper. Today the wood-fired samovar is made of brass. In addition, a modern wood-fired samovar can be copper-plated, or, for example, contain an electroplated coating. There are nickel-plated models, there are models coated with a special heat-resistant varnish.
If you are restoring a wood-fired samovar, then some repairs will be required, which you can do with your own hands, or you can turn to professionals. Everything depends on the volume of the restoration. If we are talking only about decor, cleaning and descaling, such procedures, of course, can be performed with high quality with your own hands. But more complex repairs, elimination of cracks and leaks, tinning, replacement of components, not everyone can do.
The choice of the shape of samovars is also interesting:
Collectors know what variations of the shape are not found. And the decor does not lend itself to listing at all – smooth, corrugated, painted samovars, etc..
Why is it not advised today to heat copper samovars? The fact is that they are susceptible to oxidation, which is not very good, and outwardly such a wood-fired samovar quickly deteriorates.
Samovar cones: brewing aromatic tea
The name wood-burning does not mean that only wood can be used. A hot-air samovar can be heated with coal, and if you want unusual tea, you need to heat it with cones..
It should be said right away that you will not find a way better than stoking a samovar with charcoal. After the combustion of coal, not much ash is formed, and the resulting powder is easily removed..
But how, having a samovar, not to make tea on cones with your own hands? Indeed, it is worth drinking such tea at least once, but considering some of the nuances.
Samovar firebox with cones:
- To melt a samovar with them is not the best option, the soot will be notable, but you can add it to the firebox while the water is boiling;
- There is a lot of resin in the cones, which tends to clog the inner pipe in the samovar;
- The cone should only be pine.
In order for the tea to be not only fragrant and healthy, only pine cones are used.
And here’s another curious fact – the water in the samovar will not come into contact with the burning fuel, but nevertheless, it will have the aroma of the wood that melted the samovar. So your tea can be apple or pine. This is explained as follows: bubbles of active oxygen begin to form on the surface of the inner heating pipe during boiling. It turns out that the water in the samovar becomes, let’s say, alive.
Therefore, it is believed that tea from a samovar is special, soft, and water for it has healing properties..
Rules for using a fire samovar (video instruction)
How to choose a samovar: tips for a note
If you are not going to hand over the existing samovar for repair, or you do not have any samovar at all, you will have to buy it. There are also a lot of questions about how to choose. In order for the samovar to delight you with long work, and the tea was always tasty, you need to choose in detail.
How to choose a hot samovar:
- External persuasiveness. The simplest thing is that there should be no dents or cracks, there should be no color irregularity.
- Sustainability. Place the samovar on a table or other flat surface, it should not wobble.
- Jug device. If this part is made of thin iron, a quick repair of the samovar is actually ensured.
- Tinning the inside. The inside of the product must be tinned with special food-grade tin.
- Tightness. Neither the faucet nor anything else should leak.
- Capacity. If there are at least three people in your family, then the volume of the samovar should not be less than three liters. There are smaller models, which are popularly called “egoist”, from which you need to drink tea in several approaches, if a company is gathered.
Models with a corrugated surface are considered more stable.
How to make tea in a samovar: instructions for beginners
Finally, the most important thing is how to drink delicious tea from such a vaunted samovar. If you have no experience, you will have to read the instructions.
Before lighting the samovar, prepare a sufficient amount of wood chips
Kindling a brazier samovar:
- Place the samovar on a small table, it should be stable;
- Fill with water, close the lid;
- Kindle the chips and throw them into the jug, then add more chips there (if the first one has not gone out);
- Put the pipe on, let it burn;
- Add wood chips until the water boils (the pipe, in turn, creates a draft for combustion);
- At the very end, add herbs or the same bumps for flavor;
- Pour tea into a teapot, pour boiling water over it and place on top of the samovar.
The tea should be tasty, aromatic, and the very atmosphere of such tea drinking is incomparable with the automatic brewing of tea from an electric kettle..
How to heat a samovar (video)
A fire samovar in your home, in the country is a necessary thing that will definitely decorate summer evenings and family or friendly gatherings. And the process of brewing tea itself is at the same time a pleasant ritual, which, like all good traditions, should be adopted from the older generations..
Samovar on wood (photo)