It is not difficult to make a cape on your own, the main thing is to think over its style in detail in advance. The now popular art form hand-made has won a leading position in the design of interiors of kitchens of different directions. For a kitchen decorated in any style, you can make a unique accessory with your own hands, which will become a bright accent or a harmonious addition to the design and the logical completion of the interior image.
Do-it-yourself decorative or functional little things for the kitchen require a lot of perseverance, patience, and free time..
And although there are more than enough creative ideas for the kitchen on the Internet, thanks to your imagination, you can create something unique, adding a notorious personality to the image of your kitchen.
Deciding on the design of the stool cape
Capes are also convenient because they can be used not only on stools, but also in other places.
You can add a wonderful accent to the interior of your kitchen with a stylish and original accessory, such as a stool or chair cover..
Needlework always requires great perseverance, and those who try to refute this have repeatedly been convinced that the ancient Slavic sayings were not fictions, because a product made “hastily” can be seen from afar.
For a kitchen decorated in a French classic or Provence style, covers for chairs or stools made of textiles made by hand will be indispensable attributes..
The design of the cape will largely depend on the design of your chairs or stools, as well as on the requirements for the cape itself and the style of your kitchen..
For light-colored capes, it is recommended to choose the material so that it does not lose its appearance after repeated washings.
- Chair back. For classic chairs, the ideal solution would be a straight back cover or tapered to the top. With such backs, both short and long covers that repeat the shape of the chairs will look good. For chairs that have a non-standard shape, covers may also not be entirely familiar. On such a chair, a pillowcase covering 1/3 or 2/3 of the back, made in the same style with the cape itself, will look great.
- Folds. Chair covers in classic style or country style look harmonious. Strict ironed folds on the cover will give the chair a decorous and neat look, while curvy assemblies are more flirty and not always suitable for classics..
- Game of contrasts. The cape will look more attractive with contrasting piping made of decorative cord, braid or a matching fabric. The decor is sewn along the perimeter of the lower part of the product and along the perimeter of the seat. If the cover on the back is short, then in order to create a complete design of the entire product, its edges are also distinguished by decorative edging..
- Holidays and weekdays. Very often, chair covers are sewn for a celebration or in case the upholstery has become old. You can sew everyday covers from a simpler fabric or choose the “golden mean” by making universal covers with your own hands, which, in addition to completing the aesthetic appearance of the entire kitchen, will protect the new upholstery.
Advantages and disadvantages
Similar classic capes can be found in Russian-style kitchens. Pink chair covers with lace can be seen in Provence, country and many other kitchens.
There are many advantages to using chair covers, here are some of them:
- Saving. The indisputable advantage of using chair covers is significant savings, because sewing a cape will cost much less than a banner and cosmetic restoration of chairs.
- New design. Chair covers are a good way to freshen up boring furniture or change the interior of the kitchen during a cosmetic renovation..
- Practicality. The cape is able to protect the chair and its upholstery from mechanical damage and burnout, and the cover made of durable fabric will become a powerful barrier for the claws of tailed pets.
The few disadvantages of using covers for chairs and stools include only the need for regular maintenance, since the kitchen is a place of increased pollution. Also, any fabric accumulates dust well, therefore, every time the covers are cleaned, they must be cleaned of dust..
What are chair covers (photo)
Where to start sewing: preparation stage
In order to sew capes on chairs for the kitchen with your own hands, you first need to prepare everything you need. To sew a cover for a chair or stool, you will need:
- Measuring tape;
- Cutting scissors;
- Sewing pins;
- Chalk or soap;
- Thick paper for creating patterns;
- Decorative elements (bows, ruffles, lace), depending on the selected cover model.
If you plan to “dress” not one, but several chairs at once in covers made of expensive materials, but you lack practice in this direction, it is better to pre-sew a trial cover or a cape from a cheaper material.
Sewing chair covers with your own hands
Pattern of a cape for a chair Here are a few main stages of work that should be guided when sewing a cape with your own hands for the first time:
- Taking measurements. Accurate measurements are taken from all parts of the chair structure.
- Pattern. Sewing any thing begins with the pattern of the product. In this case, if a cape is planned for a chair, then a pattern for the back and for the seat is required. If the cover is sewn on a stool, only the seat is taken into account. For the correct drawing up of the pattern, it is necessary to take measurements from the chair. There is no universal pattern for a chair cover, since there are a lot of chair models. Each model needs its own pattern, which will take into account all its bends, lines, and the location of the legs. The back of a chair can have completely different widths, heights and shapes, and the location of the legs relative to the seat can be enormously different..
- Calculation of fabric. According to the pattern, you need to calculate the required amount of fabric to make a chair cover. The calculation of the amount of material is done taking into account all the frills and allowances. If you have to sew covers for a whole set of chairs, the correct layout will help to save fabric. To make a cover for an office chair, 1 m of standard-width fabric is enough. For a chair with a back, 2 m will be enough.
You should not sew chair covers exactly in size, because if in some places the cover is too narrow, it simply will not fit on the chair. In addition, most fabrics have the ability to shrink after washing..
- Sewing a trial cover. If you come across handicrafts for the first time, and you have to work with expensive materials so as not to spoil the expensive fabric, it is better to sew a trial cover from inexpensive textiles, because it is very difficult to make an exact pattern of a chair cover without experience. This method will help you, making the fit of the pattern during the fitting process, to avoid damage to the material and a large amount of waste..
- Cut. You can start cutting the fabric after the trial cover is ready. A pattern is attached to the fabric with pins, outlined with soap. On each side, it is necessary to leave a few centimeters of allowances for hemming edges or seams.
You should not buy too expensive fabric for sewing covers for everyday use, so that later you do not have to sew covers to protect the covers..
- Sewing. The cover is sewn in the same sequence as the test cape was made..
We also suggest you watch a video on how to crochet a chair cover with your own hands:
In order to make a beautiful and high-quality cape for a stool or chair with your own hands, you need to have everything you need at hand and practice a little in making it.